Large Noise from Bridge Rectifier; Conducted Emission Measurement

THANKS for coming back and telling the progress.

I asked about the EMI Filter for the reason that poor EMI Filter once bit me! Some previous engineer had selected an absolutely WRONG filter. One of those that looks good on paper, but turned out to be the WRONG impedance match at EACH end!

I asked about the 'placement' of parts, because I've seen switching currents bypass ALL the filtering, like windings on a transformer, with the signals simply going around any attempt to EMI filter out stuff. [a little copper tape shielding showed THAT weakness]

And, lastly, I asked about manufacturer BECAUSE FAIRCHILD has historically made extremely LOUD rectifiers [having worked there once, I have no idea why or how that happened but perhaps they wanted EFFICIENT snap OFF with no regard for that reverse recovery time shutoff being so abrupt that it almost produces noise out to MHz.] In our 'linear' supplies we simply removed Fairchild from our approved vendors list and bought Motorolas, General Radio(??) and such.

PS: it is really worth it to model your Test Setup, AC mains cabling, LISN's and whole power supply and let LTspice show you where the tendency towards ills are. Matches VERY closely out to around 10MHz and roughly on up to 30MHz.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Try adding a small resistor in series with each diode; value TBD.

Reply to
Robert Baer