Labelling plastic boxes

underneath

though. I

That sounds nice. My lousy BROTHER labeler uses the stuff I described. What make is yours?

-- Joe Legris

Reply to
Joseph Legris

underneath

I've used standard paper labels with sticky backs (ie address labels), from Avery or whoever, then cover the label with the clear plastic sticky book covering material that kids use for their schoolbooks.

Works quite well for just panel lables.

Alan

-- Sell your surplus electronic components at

Search or browse for that IC, capacitor, crystal or other component you need.

Reply to
Alan

Very old ,called "LETRASET" and also came with a clear finishing spray to protect the rub-on letters.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Jason,

There are two ways I might suggest. One is to print the label with a dye-sub photo printer. That way the finish is durable and you can spray glue the reverse or use the 3M double-sided film to stick it down smoothly. These printers are very cheap and you end up paying around 50c to a $1 per print. Alternatively, print them at your local digital photo booth.

The other way involves laser printing on the reverse side of transparent film but with a difference. The lettering is transparent, that is you print a negative image of the artwork so that you end up with a black background. Now you can use those bright colored labels and dots (or print it) and place them on the box behind the lettering. Use the thin

3M double-sided to hold it down.

The effect is very satisfying, I recently replaced the front screen label on an old TI-34 calculator this way and it actually looked better than the original.(I had bought a new calc but wasn't happy with it).

*Peter*

Jas> I have a few plastic (mainly ABS type) boxes that I put my completed PCB's

Reply to
Peter Jakacki

Overhead projector acetate film, laser printed in mirror-image. Stick it on with double-sided carpet tape so that the printing is on the back (and now reads the correct way around) and cannot be rubbed off.

It is also quite acceptable for front-panel labels on non-commercial equipment.

The ony disadvantage is that the carpet tape provides a very dull white background. You cannot use clear liquid adhesives because the solvent will dissolve the lettering.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Yes, I've done this.

There *is* clear double-sided tape around.

Spray adhesive works too. Look for the Scotch brand spray adhesive sold in art shops.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

underneath

though. I

Brand = Dymo, Model = LabelWriter 330

My wife uses it to label all the plastic stuff in the pantry.

...Jim Thompson

        Global Warming is God\'s gift to the Blue States ;-)

What's wrong with your brother? You two don't get along? Maybe he thinks you're a lousy brother?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

"4776" doesn't find anything on Avery's catalog search. Is that the correct number?

--
Good day!

Christopher R. Carlen
Principal Laser&Electronics Technologist
Sandia National Laboratories CA USA
crcarleRemoveThis@BOGUSsandia.gov
NOTE, delete texts: "RemoveThis" and
"BOGUS" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Carlen

That's worth knowing, have you any idea what it's called?

Is it as sticky as carpet tape?

I's be a little uneasy about that, I thought it was for mounting paper and card and didn't stick particularly well to plastic or metal panels.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Not being funny - 'double sided tape'.

It's pretty tenacious. We used it to stick 'leatherette' to wooden trim for example.

art

It's acceptable.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

the

It is. But it seems that Avery Europe has a different set of products compared to Avery USA. If you go to

you'll find them in the Identification section.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

It raised a laugh, nevertheless.

OK, thanks. I'll try to find a source of it.

It could be very handy for making up better-looking front panels than the ones I have recently concocted.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Try 3M Super 77

Very sticky, bonds to most stuff, and holds strong. Buy it at the hardware store. It's different from their Artist's Adhesive, which I haven't used.

Full URL:

(Someone needs to educate their web developers about easy-to-forward URLs...)

Cheers, Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

6575 through 6579

Meindert will have to verify that its the same thing - I just assume it is.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Yes they are. The sizes are different, but the material (polyester) is the same.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

It says it is banned in California, which makes it looks as though it might be an organic solvent-based adhesive (does anyone know whether it is?).

Most of the comon organic solvents will attack polystyrene, which is the basis of laser toner, and will dissolve the printing. Some will even attack the acetate film itself. That as why I originally used non-solvent carpet tape.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

I used this adhesive to bond some 10mil mylar overlays that I had printed and had a very hard time getting the overlays on without a lumpy looking finsh. It looked nice and even after spraying it, but I still got little lumps that showed through. It didn't make much difference how light the coat of adhesive was until it got so light that it wanted to come off at the corners. I never did figure out what I was doing wrong. Maybe I needed something a little stiffer than mylar.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

underneath

Second technique is to first, print it on one sheet, place the sheet on the panel, and then place a SECOND clear sheet over it...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Used Paint ,you can just flip the image left/right, and printed to overhead sheets. This was for a rush project,took about aan hour. I used this system to put on corporation logos etc. You can get double sided transparent sticky tape one foot wide,just try to avoid airbubbles when applying it.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry