Is there any other way?

  • cos( angle of sun).

Paul Burke

Reply to
Paul Burke

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

blah, blah, blah... max power available x conversion efficiency = what you can do with it...

me

I must have multiplied wrong, that and I was going of 19 w/ft^2 (information I got out of a kids book). 5280 ft. per mile 64 acres per mile^2, just tell me where I'm wrong. I wouldn't be suprised if none of this 5280 ft. to a mile was right. this is all based off stuff i learned in grade school and committed to memory (I am now 14 and a freshmen).

Reply to
ngdbud

I read in sci.electronics.design that ngdbud wrote (in ) about 'Is there any other way?', on Thu, 29 Sep 2005:

Yes.

No, 640.

BTW, an acre is very close to 0.4 hectare, making a link with metric measures. This is because hidden in Imperial land measure is the rod, pole or perch of 5.5 yards, which is very close to 5 metres.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Link? I think coincidence.

along those "very close" lines:

Liter = quart

Yard = meter

Inch = 2.5 cm

Pound (mass) = 0.4 kilograms

Mile = 1.6 kilometers, which means kilometer = 0.6 miles, which means there is some very close link to the golden ratio.

Reply to
Richard Henry

640 acres/sq.mi.

Quick metric conversions:

A meter is 10% longer than a yard A litre is 5% larger than a quart a kilogram is 10% heavier than 2 lbs. a hectare is 2.5 acres

Notice that in every case the corresponding metric unit is larger than the English equivalent.

Norm Strong

Reply to
<normanstrong

Coincidence? I agree.

But I thought the kilometer "happened" because the inventors of the metric system wanted the distance from the equator to the poles to be 10,000,000 of them. (Note: they mismeasured a little bit.)

Reply to
Richard Henry

Inch > cm? ;-)

Tim

Tim Williams

I read in sci.electronics.design that Richard Henry wrote (in ) about 'Is there any other way?', on Fri, 30 Sep 2005:

Please read the words. 'Link' is in the first sentence. The explanation is in the second sentence and it is indeed a coincidence. The rod, pole or perch is a very old unit, whereas the metre was invented after the French Revolution and was intended to be one 40-millionth of the circumference of the Great Circle through Paris.

US quart, not Imperial.

No, 0.9 m

No, 0.45 kg

Coincidence again. See above for how the kilometre happened.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

And km are smaller than miles, and liters are smaller than (real) quarts.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Cattle prod?

Reply to
The Cheese Machine

Ah, yes that could have been it, or maybe I just messed up last night.

Reply to
ngdbud

How does a cattle prod propel anything?

Reply to
ngdbud

Now imagine a giant concave mirror, 1 acre surface area, and then have it focus into a somewhat wide point. This point goes through a concave lense in the middle and raised to compensate for angle the light (coming from all directions) into a beam. You now have an engine that is four times as powerful and costs nothing but a small, in comparison to the laser they use, 1 time fee to run.

Reply to
ngdbud

I read in sci.electronics.design that Tim Williams wrote (in ) about 'Is there any other way?', on Fri, 30 Sep 2005:

One might argue that they aren't 'corresponding'. How about:

Hand > decimetre?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Ouch, to say the least.

Reply to
ngdbud

Note the enormous difference between the implications of the two statements!

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Stand in front of one. You'll find out. ;-)

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You can't form a beam tighter than the half a degree wide that the sun appears. (Unless you throw away some light)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

What would it cost to make (and install) a giant mirror like that?

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr