Is the TSA Running Microchip?

A response to my support question was answered with this appended.

By the way, we have this new process of checking our customer names using a restricted party screening tool below before supporting the customer.

Upon checking I found 3 records similar to your name, kindly give us your f ull legal name (includes middle name) so we can check it out again.

The process prohibits us from giving technical support until the customer i s cleared with this screening.

We would be needing this clearance if you have further question on this mat ter.

WTF??? So they won't provide support unless they can identify my precisely according to some web site I don't have an account with? Is this to confo rm with US requirements? I guess asking if they have LTspice compatible mo dels is potentially an ITAR violation...

What if my name happens to be the same as someone on the death list?

Wow.

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

More likely to cover their a** in the event the State Department starts searching for possible prohibited technology transfers. Given the pissing match we've gotten into with a few countries, the TLAs would probably frown upon someone sending them Forrest Mims basic semiconductor circuits book. And they don't have a sense of humor. So Microchip puts a process in place to placate them and makes no exceptions. So if asked, they can say "We check".

ITAR is a bitch.

Human beings were created by water to transport it uphill.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

We used to buy $10k lots of Japanese lasers through a US company because they were able to sell reasonable batches. After getting some paperwork that the current US administration requires the whole supply chain to sign, we moved our business elsewhere.

The reason was that by signing we'd have to adhere to US export regulations that are moving towards unsuitable direction for us.

--
mikko
Reply to