Is Texas Instruments on strike?

Anyone noticed the availability of a lot of common TI stuff is really bad? Only non-ROHS parts (old stock I suppose) seems to be available.

I wonder what is going on there... Employees hooked to a new card game? HQ moved to a beach on Hawaii? Using wafers as frisbees?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

We've been told that pretty much all electronics parts are going from

8-16weeks and perhaps even to 26 weeks soon. While there has been a slowdown in the US there hasn't been one in Asia. Evidently there is even an Asian "cash for MP3 players" going on and they've sucked up everything with legs on it. Add to that plant closing and furloughs because of the downturn and supplies are tight. If the US picks up it could get really ugly.
Reply to
krw

Hmm, I think I have to get rid of all the TI stuff then on my current design. Too bad I'm already working on the PCB layout.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

What parts are you missing? I've not noticed much of a change. For example they still have the THS4021 in stock at Digikey, thousands of them, and RoHS. Ok, I almost only use analog stuff, maybe your parts are digital?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Sort of. Simple stuff like a tpic6c595 or tpic6b595 and switcher chips seem to be unavailable.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

Doesn't look like it:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

I need the surface mounted version. That's all sold out:

But I do see ST is a second source! Weird. Those devices weren't listed when I did the same search last monday.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

Yup, and they've got over 10000 of those. I thought you were keen on the TI parts for some reason.

In such cases it is always good to check the mfg site first. TI indicates large stock qty of the RoHS SOIC part at EBV in Germany. And sure enough, over 3000 of one type and a whopping 32500 of another but check the exact part numbers:

Around 0.45 Euros and it saves you on the overseas shipping. If in a rush maybe they'll let you pick them up in Maarssenbroek ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

This is an industry wide situation. TI is no different than any other.

Reply to
krw

Now that this chip is licked (unless you need more than 35000 right now ...) which others are missing?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

The TPS5410D (also SMD). I already got those, but supplies are very limited. The samples I ordered are confirmed on the 30th of December.

And I think I have some other samples in backorder as well but I don't remember the part number right now.

I'm also wondering if the ST versions of the TPIC6C595 / TPIC6B595 will work on 3.3V. On the TI version 3.3V operation is more or less possible according to a TI application note.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Nico Coesel

That one really looks like a dud. However, Farnell has 141 left. Get'em while you still can :-)

If you guys plan to run large qty production it may be best to design that chip out and try to get by with a more generic buck switcher. This is one of the reasons why I often roll my own.

If you are sure that TI works and not sure about ST check EBV Elektronik in Germany. They've got tons of the TI part in stock.