Favorite precision rectifier

What's your favorite full wave precision rectifier circuit?

I need something good for sines and triangles of a volt or so, up to 100kHz or so. I'm looking at this

but it has an ugly ~1us propagation delay, resulting in a 200-400mV step at zero crossing. Eww.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Hz

ecision_FWR.gif

at

isn't this the standard from some AD appnote:

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Firmware.

John

My favorite:

I've been using it since the mid '80's, first for a 400KHz application, back when OpAmp GBW wasn't nearly as good as they are now.

...Jim Thompson

Isn\'t the definition of "totalitarian" when the government owns
significant manufacturing; and controls the major media outlets?

OK, all analog: use a comparator to sense the sign of the input, and then switch a +1/-1 gain stage.

John

I usually use a Gilbert cell driven by a comparator.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

Uselessly overcomplicated.

Has a certain elegance about it though. Breaking it down to its components, you have a stacked differential amplifier (the mixer) and a high gain differential amplifier (the comparator), which should have a differential output to drive the mixer to saturation (or use diode steering). But that's none other than taking signal x, amplifying the piss out of it to get

100,000x clamped to the supply rails, which is essentially the sign function (in this case, +1 if x > epsilon, -1 if x < epsilon, x/epsilon if |x| < espilon). So it generates sign(x) * x, which is another way of writing |x|. Neato.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Often the only way when you have 500MHz signals to deal with.

...Jim Thompson

Isn\'t the definition of "totalitarian" when the government owns
significant manufacturing; and controls the major media outlets?

If you're doing a discrete (not ICs) design, it's arguably a lot simpler than building the equivalent op-amp-style circuit... we're talking, what, no more than a dozen transistors here (current sources included), right?

I sense a "fewest number of transistors absolute value circuit" design challenge coming on. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

than

o more

+10V ! [R]10K ! +-------Vout !/ AC IN------! !\\e 2N3904 ! [R]10K ! -10V

What do I win?

Reply to
MooseFET

That ought to produce some real crap designs ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Isn\'t the definition of "totalitarian" when the government owns
significant manufacturing; and controls the major media outlets?

Hz

ecision_FWR.gif

at

H&H AoE. not sure the chapter or page. You add the inverse to the half wave rectified signal. (or something like that) through an opamp. I'm pretty sure they didn't invent it but that's where I saw it first.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

kHz

at

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 | =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Hmm, I haven't seen that before. I'll give it a whirl. Thanks, George H.

Reply to
George Herold

0kHz

p at

Phil, Do you 'roll your own' Gilbert cell?.

Tim, I'm using an AD multiplier chip, part number 'unsure' (sorry I'm at home with dial-up and it's too painful to go searching the web.) That's claimed to be good up to 10MHz. It works great for detecting noise up to 100kHz. (and beyond)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

It's about 25 cents worth of parts, smaller than a dime, and works great. Useless is in the eye of the beholder, I suppose.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Generally I use an array, e.g. an MC1496.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hz

ecision_FWR.gif

at

Hello Tim,

What relative input range is required and how good it must be (linearity, offset drift, etc)?

The larger the relative input range, the larger the gain must be in case of a feedback approach.

Best regards,

Wim PA3DJS

remove first three letters of alphabet in the PM

Reply to
Wimpie

An MC1496 is NOT an array... it's the real deal ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Isn\'t the definition of "totalitarian" when the government owns
significant manufacturing; and controls the major media outlets?

Like-a dis...

...Jim Thompson

Isn\'t the definition of "totalitarian" when the government owns
significant manufacturing; and controls the major media outlets?

100kHz

tep at

t -

Cool, I use the AD630 as a 'lockin' chip. Someone told me that was what I should use and I never bothered lokking for other demodulators. So the MC1496 is 150 times faster and 1/20 the cost. What's the down side? The carrier feed through numbers look a bit scary. 20 - 200 mV with a sqaure wave if the offset isn't adjusted.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold