Power supply power factor correction and the US

I'm just reviewing a 120W psu spec. In the EU this would require power factor correction for the input. The spec I have doesn't mention it but does refer to MIL-STD-461.

I've had a quick search of the pdf for 461F doesn't mention power factor correction. So does the US care about PFC on power supplies? Or is it known by another name?

Reply to
Raveninghorde

Google found this:

Don't think its what your looking for.

don

Reply to
don

This might be useful:

Spehro Pefhany

Is it a military PSU? If they're quoting MIL STD 461 for EMC, it probably is. The relevant document for electrical supply quality is then MIL STD

704(F?) by association. It says there is no need for power factor correction below 500watts. The only noteworthy comment is that you can't use half-wave rectification. Don't laugh, I know someone who did.

Graham H

Reply to
Holloway,Graham (UK)

Asian military.

And thanks that's the answer I needed. I'll find MIL-STD-704 for reference.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

"Raving Nut Case"

** Total bollocks.

There are restrictions that apply but having a PF = 1 is NOT one of them.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Nope. There are some constraints upon the power factor, but they're so lax that you would have trouble violating them if you tried.

Reply to
Nobody

That pretty well says what is what, in the US, for regulation, however there are some limits for meeting the "energy star" compliance here. I have also seen industrial loads where the utility required active power factor / harmonic correction. Otherwise, there are requirements that are part of equipment purchases and some manufacturer's associations that are putting out voluntary compliance standards.

Reply to
JosephKK