Is 4kHz too high a beeper frequency?

------------

** I have Indian neighbors, from Hyderabad.

They and their Indian friends spend all day staring at the things and seem to accept whatever nonsense they find as fact.

I call them " Indian magic screens."

You do get the joke ?

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Certainly :-) I'm all too familiar with the scene. Small screen addiction is one of the few things my people have in common with the rest of India. The current craze is WhatsApp, more so than Facebook.

Reply to
Pimpom

and scopes that do that too plus a good guitar tuner.

I don't know what that means, "dictate their lives"??? I use mine. I like to get the Google news on it. I can do that on the computer, but it doesn 't seem to work the same. It's one of the few things that works better on the phone. I also text so much more than I did with the flip phone because I don't even have to type! I can talk to the phone and it sends my text m essages!!! That is totally cool, but how is any of it "dictating my life"? ??

Do you yell at kids to stay off your lawn?

The one great feature of a land line is the voice quality. No cell phone c an compare. Where I am my cells don't always have coverage. But they work other than within 100 feet of my house. The voice quality can suck and ca lls can drop, but it can drop calls hundreds of miles from my home or offic e. Since I finally got a smart phone it has been nothing but better than m y old flip phone.

--

  Rick C.

  ---+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ---+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricky C

Phil Allison wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Probably a PC version too. Or any tablet. You got a tablet? Not any kind of horrible thing. Modern technology. Event Einstein would say so.

The thing is a freq counter gives you a number. (which smart phones can also do, BTW) This tuner app tells you the musical note as well as the frequency and tells you how many 'cents' off you are. That is a musical term. It is so much better than a frequency counter fed by a microphone. Instrument tuning apps are pro apps and have surpassed a tuning whistle by far.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Ricky C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

yer nuts.

POTS = 300 to 3400 Hz MAX

Cell phone, locally is like 200 to 20,000 Hz.

The cell connection band, however, is the same as POTS because we need to talk to dopey copper connected dolts occasionally. So they handcuffed it to the same 300 to 3400 Hz. Not even a function of the phones so much as the cell nodes.

And ANY music over the cell is better than ANY wired phone. Because unlike voice calls, streamed media gets buffered and the cell plays back FOOL spectrum audio.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

============

** My lot are obsessed with Zoom meetings on their big screen TV. 8 brown faces at once, family members, all talking Telugu simultaneously.

Way too much for this little Koala to bear.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Nope, not even close. Cell phones have to conserve network band width. Th ey use voice compression that is much less than 56 kbps and sounds it very much. Then there are bit errors and drop outs. Like digital TV if our con nection isn't great the bit errors show up very quickly.

I know you won't accept any of this, but that's they way cell phones are ov er more than half the country. If you have a great connection to your towe r and it's not morning or evening rush hour or some time between, you might get a good connection. Other places and at the congested times voice qual ity sucks.

--

  Rick C.

  --+- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  --+- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricky C

Ricky C wrote in news:bed1f85c-2740- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Not true. Think about back when they started it all. Today's data rate on a stream from the net through the cell tower to your phone is a today thing. That can be megabytes/s and is. That stream, however, is a file write operation. Not full duplex low audio grade phone conversation. Even your zoom or skype links are far better audio than a standard audio phone call.

Audio is slow rate and low bandwidth requisite thing.

But still, even in the start, they had to clamp it to POTS rates because MODEM, FAX, and such ARE also tied to that because 'baud rate' is tied to it. Because they did not even have ISDN digital switch houses in everywhere yet.

So if you look up the number, it is the same as POTS. You tell me why, smartass.

It ain't 'compression', it is a modulation schema. Cell communcation is packetized so you are mixing technologies. They use QPSK modulation for spectral efficiency. But yes, some phone brands and some older models compressed their audio stream and then sent it, and delays and clicks and pops, etc. crop up and rop outs. They have improved all that greatly. So yeah, they still compress, but it is better than before. So maybe NOW they are doing better audio band limits, but it is still stated as 300 to 3400 in the specs.

I already wrote why I think they did it, but did it they did.

There is zero incentive for you to constantly attack me.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Ricky C wrote in news:bed1f85c-2740- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Nope. Unlimited. Roaming? WTF is roaming? Ha!

See above. Part of the plan. phone is internet hotspot for my laptop and iPad no matter where I am too.

It is a modern world. I expect to have a video phone on my forearm and to change my name to Dick Tracy soon.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Ricky C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You are on a shitty system. Where you at, Timbuktu?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yes, but you seem to be agreeing with me.

You idea of "having to clamp it" is not logical although I'm not clear on w hat the "it" is. If it is mobile, the POTS audio bandwidth was a requireme nt because it's needed for human speech. The initial cell phone service wa s analog with digital control. You could pick it up with a radio receiver. There was no requirement to handle FAX or MODEM because they were not reg ulated the same as POTS.

What number??? Try explaining what you are talking about???

You are going off the reservation. This has nothing to do with carrier mod ulation.

The data from the ADC receiving your voice around 100 kbps is compressed fo r all digital telecoms. The phone company uses uLaw or Alaw to compress 13 bits down to 8 bits or 64 kbps. Cell phone carriers initially wanted to p reserve bandwidth so they could get more phone calls on the same number of towers. So they used voice compression that could run as low as 12 kbps or maybe 8, but I never heard an 8 kbps stream I would tolerate. But in rush hour cell congestion it's better to give a crappy call than no call.

With time the data capacity of networks increased and I'm sure they use 12 kbps a lot less than before, but to the best of my knowledge they don't tie up 64 kbps when there is little need.

There is zero need to increase the bandwidth because the phone at the other end is still very likely to be a land line with the same frequency limit t hey've always had. Then there is the issue of part of the call path being routed through the phone system which is 100% uLaw in the US. You ain't ge ttin' no better frequency response than it's been for a long time.

I reread my post you are replying to and I don't see a single thing anyone would call an "attack".

--

  Rick C.

  -+-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+-- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricky C

Who is your provider? I'd like to sign up for an unlimited data plan. Are you paying through the nose? I pay about $30 a month and $10 per GB. Mos t people have plans where they pay for the data as a cap and pay though the nose if they go over it. That way they pay for data they aren't using.

I'd like to check out your plan. Who is it with and how much?

--

  Rick C.

  -+-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  -+-+ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Ricky C

Ricky C wrote in news:e9c66f7a-812a- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

$30 a month unlimited.

Not the carrier I have, but I see "Spectrum" ads on TV all the time that offer cheap unlimited plans.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Ricky C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I know how it works. I told you I was working at General Instrument when it was being engineered and adopted. If you do not know what a bitblt is, you should not attempt to craft pontification any further. If you do not know how an HDTV signal is encoded (and you obviously do not), you should stop.

Bit errors in the transmission can cause total drop out. That is where the "bit error rate" comes in. They do not put up corrupt frames, so you will not see frames containing artifacts. As I stated earlier, it is all or none on a per frame basis. Frames failing decoding get cast aside, not included. There are not frames sporting visible artifacts. That was standard definition cable TV decoding. A completely different animal. That is why they can get 12 channels per 6MHz wide carrier. It is called MCPC. But the HDTV method differs.

MCPC is down the page a bit.

I know how analog television signal transmission works as well.

Try decoding in-band gated sync signals. Ha!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Have a look at IEC 60601-1-8.

Whether or not your device has to comply with it, there's lots of useful rationale about how alarm tones and their harmonic content affect distinguishing/locating them in a noisy room.

PM me if you can't locate a copy - address in the headers works.

Reply to
news