Interesting opto device

Hi All,

An interesting item you may be able to help me identify.

14mm dia, 7mm high, 6 leads, clear lid, writing on the side "12188", no manufacturers mark, logo or name.

The device is three layers;

- Pelitier device, pins 1 & 2 (bottom)

- Thermistor, pins 4 & 5

- Opto device, pins 3 & 6 (top)

Measure resistance between 4 & 5 (nominally 10k). Apply 500mA between

1 & 2. Resistance goes up or down depending upon direction of current. So there is a method to temperature control the opto device. The whole unit was mounted on a heatsink.

Opto device: 500k nominal resistance, changes to 400k with a very bright light. It might be IR sensitive (?) Does not appear to generate any voltage and have the same resistance either way around so apparently not a semiconductor.

I assume that the opto device is cooled by the Peltier device (and hence the need for the external heatsink).

Anyone seen anything like this before ?

Regards,

Mark

Reply to
MarkAren

Maybe its a Laser Diode (or high pwr LED?), thermistor for temp measurement feedback, peltier to manage temp. Where did you find it?

Reply to
K Ludger

Maybe a long-wavelength (thermal) IR detector. One of those lead titanate things or something. Out of an old Sidewinder maybe?

John

[...]

Yup, my money would be on an IR detector as well - lead selenide (PbSe) or lead sulfide (PbS) is what you're thinking of, I think :) Both are frequently used with cooling, and need monitoring of the temperature since their peak sensitivity depends on temperature. Exactly what it's from is difficult to say, since they're used all over the place, and 12188 doesn't seem to give any useful hits.

--
Michael Brown
Add michael@ to emboss.co.nz ---+--- My inbox is always open

I could have sworn I was thinking of lead titanate.

John

Lead titanate and lead zirconate-titanate (PZT) are both ferroelectrics that are used for pyroelectric IR detectors, but they're generally used uncooled.

Lead sulphide and lead selenide are very low-barrier semiconductors that at one time were the best available IR detectors in the 2-3 um band (where Ge craps out). They work best cooled, because they're so leaky (they also have other problems e.g. a strong memory effect, like CdS and CdSe in the visible).

Based on the TE cooler, It might be a lead salt, or possibly mercury cadmium telluride. You can tell by whether it responds to thermal IR or not.

It has a certain hand-made look to it, so it might very well be somebody's brilliant idea that never worked properly.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I suggest a germanium or GaInAs avalanche photodiode for ultrasensitive infrared detection (astronomy, microanalysis etc - but lately the hot market is single photon detection down optical fibres for quantum encryption). Normally used cooled - sometimes with liquid N2 - have a look at the J16TE series of widgets from Judson Technologies:

These have an integrated TE cooler too. What I think you have is a prototype version of one of their things, or a one-off remarkably like it made by some researcher in a lab (there are various mad scientists locked up in labs around the planet trying to improve the materials used in these photodiodes for their PhD's).

Having identified the device, we need to apply Rule 34* to find out what it's REALLY used for.

--
Nemo

* Google it...
Reply to
Nemo

Lots of low volume production stuff has that same look about it. That makes me think that John's idea (an IR detector for a Sidewinder or something similar) might be right.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

Unlikely ... looks nothing like the ones I've used. Both the connections to the active part appear to be on the same side (left-right as opposed to front-rear). Also, the facing surface is non-uniform. Since avalanche photodiodes are usually made by evaporating some conductor onto the wafer the front surface should be near mirror-like unless it has been damaged through sparking. Finally, the OP said that it appears to be unpolarized and non-photovoltaic, which doesn't really sound like a photodiode :)