Interesting Optical Effect with PVC drain pipe

Yeah that's what I meant,

Reply to
Jasen Betts

anatase or rutile?

Reply to
ingvald44

Over here it's a byproduct of converting titanomagentite sand to pig iron, or was when I did chemistry in highschool. As has been show my recollection of the details is less than perfect.

wikipedia: "rutile" |Rutile derives its name from the Latin rutilus, red, in reference to |the deep red color observed in some specimens when viewed by |transmitted light.

This may explain RFI-EMI-GUYs words.

bye.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Yes, I was wondering about this browning of pipe in the sun. I have about an 8 foot length of 2" PVC in my back yard that I put out there standing vertically to support the low end of a wire antenna. It has been there for at least 15 years and is still white. I think it came from some stuff I bought in the early 80's so I can only guess new PVC must be crap compared to old PVC.

No idea about what's different in composition or chemistry.

Reply to
rex

UV stabilizers, probably. The previous owner had also placed such vertical posts but mostly to support sprinklers and stuff. He painted them and that greatly helps. But as usual there are always bare spots. No blackening in about 20 years of truly pelting sunshine. Then I saw a utility repair where thy used PVC just a few years ago. Already looks like chocolate ... I think this PCV stuff _was_ better 20 years ago.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.