Galvanically isolated AC voltage + phase?

Hello,

I'm working on a circuit for true mains AC power measurements, i.e. taking cos(phi) between AC current and AC voltage into account. One of the hurdles is the need for a good galvanic isolation between the mains AC (230 volts,

50 Hz) and the low-voltage measurement circuit.

Current amplitude and phase measurement is done with the ACS712-20 device, and that works just fine. No problems there. At the moment, AC voltage amplitude and phase are determined using a 1VA 6V AC mains transformer, ands even though it's a small transformer and does the job, it's quite a bulky solution (approximately 1 cubic inch for commercially available types).

So I wonder if there's a 'smarter' (as in: smaller) way to get information about both the amplitude and phase of the mains AC to the low-voltage part of the circuit, besides using a transformer. Capacitive coupling seems to be no option at all (phase and/or ground levels of the separate circuits may or may not be connected), and (forward-biased) opto-couplers have way too much tolerance in their current transfer ratio to be useful in this respect.

Does anyone know of any small-size AC voltage measurement alternatives, as with this nifty Hall-effect devices?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Richard Rasker

Reply to
Richard Rasker

es

,
,
6V

the

els

d)

RB, so many ways, so little time. Throw away that ACS712-20 and look at a S i8900 which has 3 10 bit input channels with an isolated output at about $3 USD a pop. Input channels; AC voltage, AC current (Sense resistor and op-a mp) and maybe Vdc for the third (test). The digital output goes to your fav orite MPU to calculate true watts and PF. This will require an isolated sup ply but that can be your next question. Cheers, Harry

Reply to
Harry D

Do you need full galvanic isolation? A diffamp, with a few high-ohm, high-voltage resistors in each leg, would do it.

A smaller transformer can be used with a series resistor:

R1 ACHI-----////------+ +------- Z | | x || x x || x x || x x || x x || x | | ACLO---------------+ +----sig gnd

where Z then goes through a big cap into the summing point of an inverting opamp. The transformer sees almost zero voltage, so can be very small.

How are you going to do the signal processing?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yep. Did that on several of the GenRad switchers, except I didn't do capacitive coupling, just used a DC restore loop around the OpAmp to keep it from wandering off. (And the transformer was your classic CT type.)

[snip] ...Jim Thompson

Consider a line-side circuit that does all the measurements and then transmits them to the user side via some galvanically isolated digital link.

That way you don't have to depend on a 50Hz, high voltage transformer to work correctly each and every time.

Just a thought.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

This 230vac version works well with 120vac.

The 120vac version has distortion whenused are 120vac.

Martin Riddle

"Richard Rasker"

** That idea will NOT work with any load that is not a good sine wave.

Counts out practically all electronic devices.

You need to *multiply* the V and I waves to get true power.

** Small mains transformers have high magnetising currents in the primary, with the current wave peaking around each voltage zero crossing.

This distorts the output voltage around zero crossings and produces significant phase shift.

** Hall effect voltage sensors exist, but are not cheap.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"John Larkin" Richard Rasker

** The tranny has to be one rated for mains voltage isolation - as the primary can still see 240VAC. 1VA E-core types are about the smallest readily available. 1.6VA toroidals are available too, but are a little larger and more expensive.

Miniature 600 ohm line matching transformers are a candidate, but none seem to be specifically rated for mains isolation.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Okay, great, you hacked a way to turn a voltage into a current using a resistor. Now about turning a current into a voltage...?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The transformer couples the opamp summing point across the isolation barrier.

Why do you hate ideas so much?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

"Richard Rasker"

** You have one like this - right?

The ACS712 is VERY noisy, because of which the resolution is only about

+/-100mA.

Max current is only +/- 20 amps peak.

Limits the apps a fair bit.

The Hall sensors I like to use are made by LEM or Honeywell and have a hole you can pass a wire through or wind turns around.

Peak currents go to +/- 100 amps and resolution to under 1 mA.

DC to over 100kHz.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Power meters/monitors are big business these days. You're not going to beat the price and functionality of something like this:

Leviton is usually cheap:

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I know, and I'm actually using a multiplier (AD633 for now, and a PIC controller in the future). I just mentioned cos(phi) to make it clear that I intend to take the U-I phase shift into account, and not simply multiply |U| and |I|.

Yet another reason to look for a better solution.

I'm working on a solution based on an HCNR201. The primary supply of a few milli-amps is easily built using a capacitor or even 100K/1W in resistors.

Anyway, thanks for your input,

Best regards,

Richard Rasker

Reply to
Richard Rasker

Or multiply random sample pairs of their instantantaneous values, AIUI. A la Larkin.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Hi Harry,

Interesting device, and perhaps I'll use it in the future (I'm planning to use a controller for the multiplication function anyway). At this point, I first want to take the 'simple' route with analog parts.

Thanks, best regards,

Richard Rasker

Reply to
Richard Rasker

** I know them well.

The AD633 is a little winner for such jobs.

** Huh ??

Phase shift becomes academic and irrelevant, once you use a multiplier.

The ratio of watts to VA gives the PF *precisely* - no matter what the current wave is like.

** Good luck.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Only if the V and the I values you are multiplying are the actual values in the relevant bits of the circuit. Any differential phase lag between the two does matter.

If what you are multiplying is exactly what what's doing the work.

Dual photodetector opto-couplers have been around for a while, but this one seems to be more tightly specified than usual. +/-5% tolerance on the transfer gain is nice, but still loose enough to need trimming out in a power measuring loop.

The "1MHz bandwidth" degrades a bit if you want to retain the good linearity ...

--
Bill Sloman, sydney
Reply to

It's better to sample/digitize the E and I waveforms and then do all the math in software. You can auto-zero out any DC offsets, and derive RMS voltage, current, and power factor for free.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Some techniques will lose the leading/lagging sign.

There is debate about the meaning of PF for nonstationary and nonsinusoidal loads. Some texts simple declare it to be undefined.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Bandwidth is not important, and for now neither is accuracy. For those interested, here's a circuit that works pretty well:

It's only a few percent off, and that is easily adjusted by means of a trimmer in series with a slightly smaller R4. Any comments are welcome, of course :-)

Richard Rasker

Reply to
Richard Rasker