info needed on nimh/nicad charging

This is a complex issue. If you measure it with the current on, resistive effects in the path come into play. IF you turn the current off, the voltage starts to drop, so you must measure at EXACTLY the same delay every time.

I once built a charger that used a 555 as the timing and voltage detector. The voltage dropped for the entire off time, but since the off time was constant, the thing worked great. I tried to duplicate the operation using the PC parallel port for control. This FAILED miserably because the sample time latency was not constant. I leave the current on.

This is another tradeoff area. First consider how much current you want. If the current is too low, the zero slope may not happen. Too much and temperature effects cloud the issue. I've been using C as the charging current with reasonable success.

I monitor the current every minute with the current left on for the reason above. I terminate after five consecutive readings of the same value Or at the first lower value.

Here are some of the reasons why.

Noise is an issue if you try to measure small changes.

My voltage measurement is just the voltage readback from a programmable supply. It has only 10mV resolution. It really should be better, but since I'm charging at least 4 cells most of the time, it works ok.

For series cells, the zero slope happens at different times for each cell. In aggregate, it smears out. The problem gets much worse for NiCd cause the pack may never go negative. Most of my charging is for NiCd. The 5 minute compromise seems to work for me.

You're gonna find this varies all over the map depending on the age and abuse of the cells. I use 1.6V/cell as an overvoltage termination, but sometimes, even that is not high enough for OLD computer packs. Don't forget to compensate for the resistance in the test setup. My wire and circuit breaker are 0.3 ohm total. Charging one cell at

4A, the error term is almost as large as the cell voltage.

Depends on how far apart the readings, see above.

Don't forget to terminate on time. Once you've put 1.2X C into the pack, you might as well quit. Don't forget to terminate on temperature. If you start with a full pack or if something goes wrong, you want to shut it down before it explodes or catches fire.

Cell life will be better if you're conservative.

mike

with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
mike

Yea Mike, thanks from me too. I've been tinkering with a custom charger for the large assortment of NiMH batteries I use lately.

--
Luhan Monat (luhanis 'at' yahoo 'dot' com)
"The future is not what it used to be..."
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Luhan Monat

snip

I'd never considered the aggregate problem before

Excellent summary Mike.

martin

Opinions are like assholes -- everyone has one

Reply to
martin griffith

1) Nah, the Republicans want everyone to show pivture ID when voting. Post office pictures don't count. 2) Since when have Republicans been conservative?
--
  Keith
Reply to

Hello there,

I understand that one of the common methods for termination of fast charge is the delta V technique. Kindly clarify the following :

  1. Is the voltage to be monitored while charging current is flowing or after switching it off briefly?
  2. If the latter, how soon ( or how much later ) should the voltage be measured after the current is switched off?
  3. How often should the voltage be monitered if the charging rate is around
0.5C?
  1. What should be the optimum maximum voltage for nimh cells?
  2. If zero delta is used, should the charging be stopped immediately on finding that two consecutive readings are the same , or should we wait for a few consecutive readings?

Thanks. Prasad.

Reply to
prasad

I read in sci.electronics.design that mike wrote (in ) about 'info needed on nimh/nicad charging', on Sun, 27 Mar 2005:

So all the cons should join the Republican party?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate