improving hand shaking while soldering

So I've begun working with really small SMT components under microscopes and my hands are just way too shakey. I've never really been a coffee drinker and I find things to rest my wrists and forearms on but it is still pretty bad.

Are there any exercises or vitamins I can take to aid this?

Reply to
Johnny Chang

It's possible you are just using too much magnification. Less mag and a wider field of view may be better.

John

Didn't your mother tell you that "it" would make you go shaky and then blind ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | The difference between a horse's asshole & Bill Sloman's mouth? Lipstick! I'll leave it to your imagination which orifice has the lipstick! Now ignore the dumb-f*ck shit-headed leftist weenie-bastard LIAR!

whoops i think i clicked reply to authors..

well, this is noticible even without magification, on my SMT project it was a real hassle and I had my girlfriend do it. It also applies to photography hobby.

Reply to
Johnny Chang

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 | =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

Reply to
Johnny Chang

Rest your hands on the table and just use the muscles of your thumb and first two fingers. Much less shaky even than the wrist.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

As John L recommends, a lesser magnification would probably help. Inspect, and perhaps touch-up, under the microscope but work with something like an Optivisor. The five diopter (2 1/2 x) model is popular. There are alternates but beware of cheapies with cast acrylic lenses.

Jack Daniel's Tennessee sour mash. However, as with many things in electronics, there are trade-offs ...

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Un bel giorno Johnny Chang digitò:

Benzodiazepines? :)

--
emboliaschizoide.splinder.com
Reply to

Nope. What you need are Gyro-Gloves(tm). Put them on your hands. A rather large gyroscope spins around the back of the hands and acts as a stabilizer. The size and pisition of the gyro is determined by the degree of shaking and which muscles are involved.

No, it's not a joke. I was working on the concept in about 1997 (yet another dot.com that went nowhere). I don't wanna talk about the details.

My initial prototype was actually built as a joke. However, when I tried using it to stabilize my pistol target shooting, I found that my groups were reduced to well under half or less in diameter. I also tried it on a friend with Parkinsons Disease, who indicated that with minimal practice, he was able to function much better. However, he also indicated that his hand and wrist muscles were fighting the rotating gyro. Combined with the added weight it was rather tiring. I also built one to stabilize various optical devices. When I hung a large gyro on my bicycle, things didn't go quite so well. Same problem trying to play piano wearing the Gyro-Gloves(tm). I'll see if I can dig up some photos.

Otherwise, look into various muscle relaxants that are usually prescribed for Parkinsons. Common Ibuprofen/Motrin might work. For anything stronger you'll probably need a prescription from a doctor.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

My favorite! Don't drink it often, maybe one drink every few months... although Drambuie ranks right up there also ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 The difference between a horse\'s asshole & Bill Sloman\'s mouth?
                            Lipstick!
I\'ll leave it to your imagination which orifice has the lipstick!
Now ignore the dumb-fuck shit-headed leftist weenie-bastard LIAR!

Martell. Cordon Bleu. One drop at a time.

John

Incidentially, most of my shakiness disappears when I'm concentrating. Lovely stuff, the body and mind, go figure. There are surgeons who shake like the San Andreas but perform operations as delicate as any other.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

I'm with both of you; Drambuie, one drop at a time. ;-)

--
Keith
Reply to

I tried some Cordon Argent once (at, like, 3x the price) but couldn't tell the difference. Too subtle for my tastes, I guess.

John

I find most of the brandies too "bitey" to my taste. If I want pure alcohol I prefer vodka shots served ice cold, particularly good when served with blinis filled with sour cream ;-)

On a trip to Germany I got bumped up to First Class, and they served exactly that, and kept 'em coming for about an hour.

In the middle of that night I thought I was going to be sick, but I managed to slowly sip water and stop my body from rebelling ;-)

...Jim Thompson

  What\'s the difference between a horse\'s ass and Barack Obama?
                            Lipstick!

Ever hear of glasses! :)

"

Reply to
Jamie

Well Mike N. has always claimed that exactly 1/2 beer was what he needed to "connect" really small things.

George

Reply to
George Herold

Austrian Rum... "Stroh"

Reply to
MakeNoAttemptToAdjustYourSet

I got (dangerously) drunk off Jack Daniels in an underage drinking binge that TO THIS DAY, one whif and I immediately feel like I want to puke. Believe it when folks tell you the sense of smell is very powerful in recalling memories.

And it doesn't even end there! Wild Turkey (and some others) have the same effect - even though I don't think I've ever tried them. Weird.

On a plus note, I could rollerskate a lot better drunk. (allegedly...)

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

There might be. The shaking is partly a form of control loop instability (too much gain and integral effect for the dead time). Are you, by any chance, on a low salt diet? I think I heard somewhere that a shortage of potassium ions in your bloodstream can delay your muscle reaction time (or maybe it is your nerve reaction time, I'm not a biochemist) a little, allowing the position control system to destabilize.

You might take a shake of salt substitute (mostly potassium chloride) on your tongue before fine work. It hits your bloodstream very fast. Great to quench out muscle cramps, also.

Of course alcohol and other depressants lower the loop gain, but that causes other problems with fine work, like you accidentally sitting on it. ;-)

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to