Import/Export of non-RoHS to EU

Does anyone know how hard (or not if I'm lucky) it is to send medium sized micro-controller dev kits that aren't RoHS into the EU. At the moment it is intended to ship direct to the end user, later it might be small numbers to a distributor.

TIA

Reply to
David Eather

This might help, you need to follow up on the results...

Martin Riddle

Who will check if they are compliant? Customs?

I'm *certain* some small companies sell non CE / non ROHS compliant electronics into EU to the end user without issue.

Having a distributor in the EU is a different issue altogether!

Reply to
Glenn B

No problem to end user as 'hobby' stuff is exempt.Selling to a disty is another matter....

Reply to
TTman

Some Brits explained CE to me, last time I was over there. CE means Can't Enforce.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Thanks all. It looks like a horrible can of worms (and then there is actual compliance). It might just be better to ignore it for the moment as there is no distributor involved (yet)

cheer

Reply to
David Eather

"David Eather" wrote

Sell it direct and forget it. That's what everybody does, who can.

It is only big companies who demand various forms of ROHS & REACH compliance statements. Then you get Conflict Minerals which is even better ;)

Anyway there is the Control & Monitoring exemption which is supposed to be good till about 2017. An "awful lot" of stuff can be classed as that. Half of UK's small companies operate under that.

Having said that, lead free SMT soldering does nowadays work OK. The SAC305 solder is 10x the price of the old stuff but with the right flux they seem to have solved the issues.

Reply to
Peter