Ideas for magnetometer torsion thread

You used to be able to buy "galvanometer suspension strip", 0.003" phosphor bronze. I had some back in the day, but it's long gone, and I can't for the life of me remember where it came from. I'd rather not remember the days of busted fluxmeters.

Perhaps Bill Sloman can remember, IIRC, he worked at Cambridge Instruments, in England. They made galvos.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

First, you have to get the bucket underneath.

-- "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." (Richard Feynman)

Reply to
Fred Abse

st

.

ll

Not in my time. The Cambridge Instruments that made galvos was taken over by the George Kent Group in 1968, which split off all the profitable bits and floated the loss-making electron microscope part of the business as Cambridge Scientific Instruments in 1974 (when I was working for the George Kent Group in Luton). It sank, and merged with Metals Research of Cambridge, which also sank and was eventually rescued by one Terence Gooding in 1979, who owned it when I worked there from 1982 to 1991.

We got our specialty metals from Goodfellows

d=3DCU07

d=3DCU05

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

00_00_02.png

The largest all glass fiber optic fiber you can get. Leave the plastic coating on to reduce moisture effects.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Or, if there's big money sailboat racing nearby, you might also get strands of kevlar and carbon fibre. These might also be had from car or aircraft or bullet absorbing vest R&D places.

How long a strand do you actually need?

Reply to
Werner

ylene,

y) at

I once thought glass was a really, really thick liquid. These people mocked and ridiculed me until I changed my mind:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Nevertheless, from a more common sense point of view, glass should be considered a solid since it is rigid according to everyday experience. The use of the term "supercooled liquid" to describe glass still persists, but is considered by many to be an unfortunate misnomer that should be avoided. In any case, claims that glass panes in old windows have deformed due to glass flow have never been substantiated. Examples of Roman glassware and calculations based on measurements of glass visco-properties indicate that these claims cannot be true.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

mike

Reply to
m II

gnet

ry

ny

d I

ed

ght:

ng

hat

-

nd

s of

About 4 inches, or a bit more, depending on the way of attaching the strand. I'm working on changing the attachment method right now.

I have a RC model hobby shop nearby and I plan to check if they sell fiberglass cloth - but first have to figure out the attachment.

Thanks,

- Alex

Reply to
Alexander Avtanski

I would suspect both Kevlar and carbon fiber to be more sensitive to humidity and temperature effects than glass.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

When you're in that shop buy a bottle of CA glue (think of it as superglue that actually works) and maybe some sticks. Wrap the glass fiber around a stick, and adhere it with a drop of glue. If you arrange things so that the fiber goes up and over the stick after it is glued then it'll be stronger, as you won't be forcing a huge bend right at the glue joint.

Or put a dot of glue on the side of the stick near the end and lay the fiber on the glue dot, on the stick axis.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

.003" shim stock (and thinner, too) can be had from McMaster-Carr and other machine tool supply outfits. The maker is "Precision Brand" and you can get 6" x 100' rolls. You can also get sheets that might be

12" square. You can then figure out a way to slice off a narrow ribbon from the edge.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

ds

.

I figure a thin strong wire of

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Half-thou 304 shim stock is easily availabe. At 40k PSI to yield, 20 thou wide would hold around a couple hundred grams.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

There are several problems with using any metal. One is that temperature changes the length and width. Quartz has a coef. of thermal expansion that is much less than any metal ( possible exception is invar . but as I remember quartz expands less than invar ). Another problem is hysteresis. You apply a force to a metal strip and it deflects. Remove the force and the metal strip does not return to it's original position. Quartz is about a 1000 times better at returning to the original position. Quartz fiber is also very strong. If the diameter is small, quartz fiber is stronger than steel.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Dan

Yes, quartz is far better in every respect--t.c.e, immunity to humidity & induced currents, internal friction, hysteresis, and strength.

In every respect, that is, if he has it. :-)

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

If you are looking for magnetometers, you might also look at Bill Slomans thread: Precision Hall effect sensors

-- Regards,

Adrian Jansen adrianjansen at internode dot on dot net Note reply address is invalid, convert address above to machine form.

Reply to
Adrian Jansen

Oh please, his head will explode! It's already larger than life!

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

what diameter and length did you try? One strand of litz wire sure is thin, and suspending a wire 2 stories high in the stairwell would certainly improve flex.

NT

Reply to
NT

That's the hard bit, suspension strip came in .003" *wide*, by various thicknesses, down to below .001". I still have the vernier-sleeve .0001" micrometer I had to get to measure the goddamn stuff. You can watch hand heat expand the stirrup if you hold it wrong.

I'd have loved to have seen how they made .003" by .001" strip.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Probably from wire, in a rolling mill. You can get very precise hand-operated rolling mills for pretty cheap.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Not much risk of that. Jamie may over-estimate the dangers posed by positive references - he doesn't seem to have had much experience of coping with them.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman