ICE40 worth its money?

Do you actually need an ice? Probably not, if you write your software in stages and in the right order you can debug it as you go on the simulator first and then the actual target. Sometimes you can use a bigger version of the chip you are useing as a make shift ice by using the extra ports.

Reply to
cbarn24050

I was contemplating getting ICE40 in circuit AVR emulator for the AtMega8 and Tiny26. I use both of these quite a bit.

They're not exactly cheap so I decided to ask around first. Is there something cheaper in the same category out there?

ICE50 would be nicer, but its just crazily expensive.

--
Siol
Rather than a heartless beep

If you write code in a commercial environment, an ICE will pay for itself very quickly - probably a few weeks, certainly months. Simulation is of limited use for any system that interacts with real-world signals, i.e. most embedded applications.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

quickly - probably a

signals, i.e. most

That's what I'm thinking, indeed. For a good part of my life I've struggled with improvized solutions, but I learned you can save time (and money) by forking out a bit extra money for proper tools. Is there something comparable to ICE40/50 out there at a more affordable price?

--
Siol
Rather than a heartless beep
Or a rude error message,
See these simple words: "File not found."
Reply to
SioL

very quickly - probably a

signals, i.e. most

An alternative would be to to most of the development on a larger part that supports the JTAG-ICE, either via debugwire or Jtag. The latter is preferable due to speed. This works pretty well, but is more applicable to the mega8 as the T26 has a peripheral mix that does not map well onto any of the larger parts, and has some features not available on any other part. I really wish Atmel would add debugwire to the 26....!

Reply to
Mike Harrison

supports the JTAG-ICE,

peripheral mix that

available on any other

I'll look into jtag, heard about it a couple times, but newer really looked into it.