HV divider for James

I didn't want to cut my ground plane so I added a little strip of FR4 for the resistor string. The output is current into the SMB connector to minimize ground loops.

Each little copper patch is roughly 0.15 pF to ground, and the maximum node resistance is 1.3K, which is a time constant of around 200 ps. I guess the capacitance across the resistors and the gaps add to the fun, but I only need about 100 MHz bandwidth.

The other end of the coax will be a 20 dB attenuator and a 50 ohm/500 MHz scope, overall 100:1.

lunatic fringe electronics

Pretty. Are you overcoating? Otherwise that Dremel'd gate-drain clearance looks a bit sparky (~30V/mil?). Some Krylon might help.

I'm not allowed to d.c. load my node, so I was using 2.2M resistors.

---------------- ////////////// The other end of the coax will be a 20 dB attenuator and a 50 ohm/500

50 ohms is classy. Not feasible for me. Even 1000:1 only lets me use 50k for my divider, which ain't allowed. My final divider is a compromise: simple and cheap, but still reasonably accurate.

Cheers, James Arthur (downloading a new copy of OrCAD -- 6GB!!!!!)

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

What's that inductor doing on the drain? And is that a cap to ground (a HV one?)

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

If you can load things, the Caddock MG series of resistors are mega-wideband

and can stand lots of spike voltage. They are essentially all that's in the 6 GHz HP scope probe.

You can get a pretty good 100:1 scope probe from Amazon cheap:

lunatic fringe electronics

That's just a hacked breadboard, mostly to characterize the Cree part model... which is not entirely to be trusted.

lunatic fringe electronics

I've been making great progress with them using analytical design calculations, rather than SPICE modeling.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

But I don't know anything about the internals of the Cree parts, so I measure things. I already learned that the body diode isn't modeled very well.

When I design my real product, I want to get it right the first time, so I simulate, or breadboard if there is any doubt about the part models. Things like the Miller effect of nonlinear d-g capacitances would be a serious pain to approach analytically.

I do very little classic EE math these days. My style has evolved towards instinct and simulation. I even simulate resistive voltage dividers, which is more fun than punching keys on a calculator, especially when trying to make permutations of in-stock values work.

What's especially bad is RF parts that have s-parameters, but no decent DC, capacitance, or nonlinear characterization. People just don't specify Rds-on for RF fets, or pulse behavior of MMICS.

Breadboarding, dremeling and soldering, is fun now and then.

lunatic fringe electronics

Den tirsdag den 23. januar 2018 kl. 16.29.34 UTC+1 skrev John Larkin:

this a bit more specs

Lasse Langwadt Christensen