How to verify a stable video signal ( NTSC / AV )

Hi All,

My Video ( NTSC ) output (AV) seems not stable, when I keep a static picture there, I can see the picture is flashing ( something like the backlight flashing, about 10Hz...measured by my eyes.. )

How to check the video signal is stable or not?

Want to make sure that is power problem or circuit protect problem....

Best regards, Boki.

Reply to
Boki

Down load the NTSC timing specifications, and check your signal with a scope, quite often published in philips semiconductor video IC specs, it sounds as if you have a major timing problem

Get a proper TV signal from a TV tuner, and lock your oscilliscope to that, put your AV signal on the scope and see how quickly it drifts across the screen , or hire a Tektronixs(sp?) wavefrom monitor

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Maybe something is running at 50Hz vs 60Hz, or the other way.

-- john

Reply to
John O'Flaherty

Reply to
ccon67

This sounds like a problem witht the monitor. The video signal itself is probably not the problem. I had a Radio Shack TV/Monitor that used to do this.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

Dammit, misread the OP, I thought Boki had created a video signal with a micro or some such evil device, and had problems with the signal

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

About 10 HZ sounds like you're seeing a beat between the power line and the vertical oscillator. Check the power supply for ripple.

Oscilloscope.

With your scope, look at the video itself - I've seen scopes that have "TV V" and "TV H" horiz. sweep settings; one syncs up to the vertical, the other to the horizontal, so you can see a side view of the frame or a top view of the lines. ;-) Any instability should show up there.

Also, use the scope to check for ripple in the DC, both in the video source (although, if that were the case, you'd have seen it on the video itself) and in the monitor.

If they're all OK, I'd start looking for an interconnect problem, and so on.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise