How to drive DC cctv lens iris?

Can anyone point me to any information about driving the DC controlled iris of a cctv lens? These things have two coils, a driver and a damper. Voltage/current for both is normally supplied by the camera (standard 4 pin connector), and I guess there must be a standard but I can't find any information/specification about how to drive the two coils.

Reply to
abc123456def99

Two coils suggests a stepper motor to me, but I'm just guessing.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

It's defintely analog, I believe something like a meter movement.

Reply to
abc123456def99

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

It sounds like a voice coil type positioner with a feedback coil. Perhaps a lot like head positioners in disk drives.

Reply to
JosephKK

Honestly, I just don't remember how this is done... It's been 10 years since I fooled with this, but as I recall, the solution was in fact pretty simple.

Rather than guess, let me direct you to either Pelco or Panasonic. Both make CCTV gear and might have specs / white papers on their websites. Pelco also makes camera controllers (Panasonic: lenses and cameras). Either one should be able to help.

Yes, there is a standard. (actually, there are a few, and probably some proprietary stuff out there too), but I recall -at the time- most of the commercial gear had the same basic requirements.

Try Pelco first, they're smaller and you're less likely to get lost on their site. Good luck.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Flashback (??) I hit the enter key and then I remembered something... I think the auto-iris is wide open, and you just apply a voltage to close it down.

I could be wrong about that, but something tells me that's what we did...? It was a long time ago, so check it before burning anything up. -mpm

Reply to
mpm

mpm snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

That is the general default, however you can order it with autoclose instead.

Reply to
JosephKK