How to calculate BER in Optical Communications

Hi!

I would like to calculate the BER of an optical communications system.

The only known value is the total collected intensity as a function of time (I thus can calculate mean intensity, variance,...). The modulation format doesn't matter. The simplest is the best; so we can take OOK modulation. I think that BER is also function of SNR.

How can I calculated the BER if I take an OOK modulation (or any other) and fix the SNR to a certain value?

Thank you for your time, Noah

Reply to
noahh.schwartz