How does 'information theory' to 'amplify' the GPS signal? thanks

In an attempt not to discourage you from future postings on sci.electronics.design or other newsgroups, I offer the following tips:

- Don't post your question in the message title. It's rude and will usually be ignored.

- Try to provide as much detail as possible in your question. Vague questions get vague answers.

- Be sure to use the correct terminology in your question.

- Mind your grammar.

To answer your question: information theory has almost nothing to do with amplifying a GPS signal. So I suspect you aren't using the terminology you intended to use. I assume you meant one of the following: A: How does information theory apply to a GPS signal? B: How do you amplify a GPS signal. If your question is A, I can offer very little. Information theory deals mainly with the limits and methods of communicating digital information. As far as I know, GPS is a digital transmission that is not especially limited by bandwidth or noise, accordingly, there is probably relatively little that information theory has to say about a GPS signal.

If your question is B, I offer the following information. Ask yourself why you are amplifying it? Then find a suitable amplifier to get from a

1.5GHz GPS signal to whatever output you desire.

These are vague answers, but it was a vague question. Next time please be more specific or else people may not be willing to help out.

Chris

Reply to
kmaryan

Googling "eb/n0" I find:

Scott

--
**********************************

DIY Piezo-Gyro, PCB Drill Bot & More Soon!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Scott Stephens

I agree that the OP seems to have a difficult time with english grammar. However the question is likely to do with the ability of a spread spectrum signal (such as GPS) to be properly decoded in what appear to be disastrously low C/N environments. This might be construed as "amplification". I suggest he google CDMA and spread spectrum for more insight.

Reply to
no_one

Also "processing gain." Maybe "correlation receiver," too.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

huh?