How do I make this happen (polarized filters)

Hi all, My son in law sent this video to me saying he wants to do it.

But I don't understand how it works. Do I need to remove a polarizer from the screen or add one or two. I have played with polarized film, but I don't get what is happening here.

Thanks, Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Den onsdag den 6. november 2013 20.37.32 UTC+1 skrev amdx:

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On a sunny day (Wed, 6 Nov 2013 11:49:29 -0800 (PST)) it happened Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in :

What happens if I walk past with my ebay polaroid sun glasses?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The guy has removed the linear polariser from the front of his LCD monitor so you see nothing interesting until you replace it.

To play around with the same effect take crossed polarisers and a sheet of nice clear plastic. Add Sellotape in overlapping layers and you can make a colour picture that can only be seen when placed between crossed polars. I assume here that Sellotape is the same in the US.

It is quite a nice demo if you can find an old style OHP with the light underneath the projection bed. Useless on the cute modern mirror ones.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

On a sunny day (Wed, 06 Nov 2013 20:05:44 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje wrote in :

Just tested that, need to keep head 45 degrees tilted to the left \ to get a black screen on my Samsung LCD. :-)

Hacked!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Thanks for the info, might need to hack a Dell monitor. Mikek

Reply to
amdx