Remote Gauge for OIL central heating tank

Remote Gauge for OIL central heating tank

Hiya

Please could anyone tell me if they know of such a thing? Ie the gauge would be in the house not actually on the tank outside. Maybe with a beep alarm that goes off when the tank is getting low.

Any info gratefully received.

Thanks in advance :O)

--
Vj
Reply to

Here's one- there are others:

and another

Fred Bloggs

"Remote Gauge for OIL central heating tank"

Do you want to constantly monitor the level, or just know when it gets low? The easiest solution is a magnet on a float and a reed switch set at the level you want to be warned. The next easiest is a magnet float and a *series* of reed switches. The switches could be connected to a string of lights or LRDs and this would give you a continuous display. I've also seen a remote sensor That used a string of reed switches hooked up to a resister network. The reed switches either switched in or shorted out the resisters which form a voltage divider. This gives you an analog output proportional to level.

Reply to
lektric.dan

gets

set

float

display.

in

gives

or you can connect a clcok timer to your furnace and calculate how many hours of oil have been used up and how many are left.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Thanks for replying :O) They both seem to work on the same principle. I'll show them to the MAN of the house and see what he thinks...I was given this link in another group...

Have a top day!

--
Vj
Reply to

Manufacturing plants do this every day. Many of the items listed at

or
are somewhat spendy, but they do have "low cost" options on some of their sensors. Standard disclaimers apply; I don't get money from either company.

If you don't really need a continuous output (the tank is exactly

62.305% full) but can live with a few broad ranges (the tank is something over 50% full but less than 75% full), a few float switches can be inexpensive. You might be able to adapt a float switch mean to turn on a pump for a water tank; if you just use one switch your indication is "OK" or "low".

Another way is to use the gauge you already have and point a $20 wired or wireless "spy camera" at it. Run the video output into your TV (possibly through a switch box, so you can select cable / DVD / tank camera) and you can check it whenever you like, as long as the gauge is illuminated.

Your oil supplier might have a ready-made solution, as well.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Hello Vødkäjéllÿ,

You should be able to get one at an oil tank supplier. I remember when we lived in Germany the tank had a large gauge inside the house and this was installed in the late 60's. So it must be readily available technology.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Expensive is right!!

This has to be the eaisest and best idea I have seen so far! What an excellent idea :O)

Good Idea, I'll pass this all on>>

Cheers Matt

--
Vj
Reply to

I'll pass this info on, however I have no idea what it all means :O)

--
Vj
Reply to

I don't see how this would work unless the flow was measured, and I don't think the owner is adept at pipe cutting. But I'll pass the info on.

Thanks for replying :O)

--
Vj
Reply to

Thanks, I've found a few sites that do them now, but the cheapest option seems to be the security cam linked to the tv, maybe even a webcam linked to the pc :O)

--
Vj
Reply to

Hello Vødkäjéllÿ,

Ours certainly looked cheaper than a webcam. It basically was a small copper hose from the house to the tank and a huge meter. So large that it could have been read from the other side of the street. You had to pull a handle for pressure and then the meter would show how much was in the tank. It was quite accurate in comparison with the dip stick. They also made some with a pump for a little more money, but I thought that would have just been luxury.

OT: Your name sounds like they have tried to place all the umlauts in there that they could. Where did it originate? Mine had only one umlaut but I had to drop that because keyboards out here don't have them.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Vødkäjéllÿ,

For a lot of furnaces the fuel flow can be pretty constant. For example, with our gas furnace I could exactly predict the metered fuel when clocking the runtime.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Well I'm sure the guy who's oil ran out :O) could too, but he's a busy man and I don't know if he has the time to work it out.

--
Vj
Reply to

I think he's after a visible without checking gauge.

These are the one's I've discovered... the top one is the cheapest and looks the easiest to use... CP101 - Appolo Ultrasonic Wireless Oil Level Monitor

Price Includes Free UK Mainland Delivery Price: £46.80 - (£54.99 Including: VAT at 17.5%)

snipped-for-privacy@heatandplumb.com 0845 226 22 22

& Utrasonic Remote Fuel Tank Gauge No more guesswork or messy tank dipping. Keep an eye on your tank contents from the comfort of your home, office or workshop! The Ultrasonic Gauge features:

a.. Self-calibrating 'one size fits all' transmitter unit b.. No probe c.. Combined long & short range aerial d.. Long range transmitter e.. Uses standard 9v battery f.. Vandal resistant construction g.. Inbuilt overfill warning system h.. Easily retro-fitted i.. Tried, tested and trusted technologies j.. Easy to read LED display k.. 12 months' guarantee l.. Suitable for use with almost any tank.

An electronic remote gauge is fitted as standard to all our Harlequin Fuel Stations, and available for easy retro-fitting to most other makes.

snipped-for-privacy@highspeed.co.uk

As usual it's GUESS the price

&

There is one called Watchman and one called Watchman plus But they look a bit fiddly...

================================================================ Watchman Plus Sensor Systems Watchman Ltd Shaerf Drive, Lurgan, County Armagh, Northern Ireland BT66 8DD Telephone: +44 (0)2838 321111 Facsimile: +44 (0)2838 324444 Email: snipped-for-privacy@sensor-systems.com Website:

This one is only a small trip away to Glasgow ho ho ho and comes complete with tank... :O) =================================================================

Watchman Plus is £128.65 including VAT
snipped-for-privacy@balmoral.co.uk

You said *sounds* like, I know that when *Vødkäjéllÿ* is read out with a computer generated voice it sounds like *Veeekajel*. I used the Microsoft Word to chose the symbols (Insert+Symbol) from different languages/text styles. It was just to ?m??ll?§? .(embellish) the word and is not a real spelling. Quite a few people do it on the english newsgroups.

Vodkajelly was a nickname from a few years ago, and it just suits me to keep it :O)

Have a good night

--
Vj
Reply to