Hot air gun tools

Calibrated means I checked the temperature with an IR or thermocouple thermometer. The meter on the front of a typical hot air SMT desoldering contraption measure the handpiece temperature, not the work temperature, which is affected by the distance between the handpiece and the work. The front panel display is only a good starting point.

I don't apply heat full blast when starting. I wave the handpiece around a little at a distance to get things warmed up, and then hit with maximum heat. I'm more worried about melting plastic parts on the PCB than about thermal shock.

The rubber ESD mat must smell really bad. Heating my formica top plywood and steel frame workbench would be a real challenge. I assume you use an electric heater as building a wood fire under the workbench might be some kind of safety violation.

I have one of these: It think I paid about $80 about 5 years ago. If you compare the various hot air machines, you'll probably notice that the handpieces are almost identical. It's the handpiece that makes the heat. All the goodies in the main box do is regulate the temperature and fan speed. Unless you need precision control over either of these, all the various boxes are functionally identical.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

On Sun, 20 Mar 2016 12:45:37 -0400, "tom" Gave us:

Same item, different label on the same chinese maker's product, with the exception that this one is actually a 120V item, which I did not take the time to find.

The market is flush with chinese electronic 'tools'.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

This one has a connector on the hand piece. Also, has the original design processor with improved code correcting some bugs in the first units.

You should open any of these Chinese devices up and do a critical QA inspection. I have found units where the neutral is switched and not the line. Also, the ground is not correctly bonded to the case due to paint not being removed where the lug is attached.

It is not the same item in spite of your review.

Reply to
tom

Hi Jeff, Thanks for all your thought about my problem. My smoke stack is mostly there to stop the heat from spreading and melting the solder on all the nearby components. I'm pretty much happy with the design. If I've got 100-200 of these to do, and it takes a minute. Then building a new tool that does it in half the time is only going to save me 50-100 minutes. (It doesn't seem worth it.)

But thanks again. It's always good to have different ideas.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold