Horrible lead times on some MOSFETs

Scalper pricing, ouch. I might have to redesign another switch-mode regulator to all-discretes pretty soon. Because the IC has gone unobtainium and I no longer trust any of the different-pinout alternates in that respect. Neither does my client.

Notice to youngsters: Specialize in analog. You'll have as much work as you can possibly want, and then some, for years. And I want to _really_ retire.

Reply to
Joerg

Or just set your automatic keyer to 1E-7 baud. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We used to do that when I was a student from the roof of the main building of the technical Univ Berlin with 6 Yagis. A friend of mine has now 128 Yagis at home. <

I plan to do it again on 432 MHz and 10 GHz. The new digital modes with DSP lower the bar considerably.

Earth-Venus-Earth has been done by some institute in the US to create maps of Venus. That was shown in one of my FFT text books from a previous life.

It has also been done by some hams here in .de from the (now museum) "Astropeiler Stockert". The transmitter was an injection-locked microwave oven magnetron IIRC. <

73, Gerhard
Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Google "Collapse of Arcibo radiotelescope" for why that won't happen again soon. :(

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Mo is a speech pathologist. She has worked with old guys who couldn't talk but could still communicate in morse code.

I could never learn it myself, so I never got a ham license.

This was the first moonbounce:

I think marsbounce has been done.

Am 02.10.21 um 01:35 schrieb Phil Hobbs:

No, that wasn't Arecibo, the name was Greystone radar or Greenstone or st. like that. The text included how they spent half an hour to burn the waveguides empty before the experiments. That does not really belong into an FFT text book, but one could feel the author's enthusiasm. BTW the FFT came into play because Venus rotates, albeit slooowly, probably a Doppler thing, I don't remember. The pics were disappointing by today's standards.

BTW the Chinese now have some Arecibo++.

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

I've been on VHF/UHF voice for the last 60 years but I'm getting a hankerin' to get on HF again. I got my General in 1958 when we had to go downtown to the FCC office for the test. I could do 15 WPM back then but can manage only 3-5WPM now(maybe). I have a homebrew half-watt transceiver for 7.04MHz. I know it works but never transmitted with it. It will warm up a small dummy load though. My call is KD5YI.

Reply to
John S

On a sunny day (Fri, 1 Oct 2021 12:44:28 -0700) it happened Joerg snipped-for-privacy@analogconsultants.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net>:

Joerg how about controlling that mars helicopter? I think a replay attack may work :-) China you have not seen this posting..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I just designed a gadget with an 8.7 volt SMB zener, in an emergency clamp circuit. But nobody has any. Looks like we can nab a reel of SOD123 parts, and push the power dissipation a tad. Lots of copper on the ends.

Reply to
jlarkin

I never got a ham license, I stuck to ploughmans.

Reply to
Tabby

It's also supposedly good to counter the chances of Alzheimer's because the brain is constantly forced to do something "unnatural". Well, I guess until it does become natural but then it should still have a beneficial effect similar to bilingualism. I've got both now because we mostly don't speak English at home :-)

The morse code proficiency requirement was dropped a long time ago for all three license levels. You'd only have to learn the operating rules, limits, digital modes (there's a lot of those now) and their parameters. The remainder would be easy since you are a seasoned EE. It's a really nice hobby, especially during phases where one is stuck at home for health reasons, own ones of those of a loved one.

With morse code people don't even have to put their teeth in :-)

If your antenna is big enough almost anything becomes possible.

Reply to
Joerg

I was like that last year because of a 35 year absence from ham radio. Didn't even remember some letters, embarrassing. I had to claw my way back up and for a guy with zero musical talent that's a hard slog. Now I am at 20wpm but my goal is 25-30wpm because that makes ragchews more fun.

Some CW chats are 1/2 hour or more and those are the most fun. No contests here, I don't like those anymore.

Hang a dipole and fire it up. 7.040 is fine, hoping you can pull that crystal a few kHz if needed. I am planning to use a QCX Mini soon which is 4-5W and costs less than $100 with enclosure. My call sign is AJ6QL.

If you ever want to try email me.

[...]
Reply to
Joerg

I was only interested in microwave, so I never got a license. Instead, I went into Cable TV and Broadcast to work with microwaves. Cable uses CARS to link two areas together, like to cross a lake or river. TV uses them for STL.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

The thing couldn't get off the ground for the last test. The atmosphere is too thin at this time.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

On a sunny day (Mon, 4 Oct 2021 10:12:33 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Michael Terrell snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Yes servos started oscillating I've read.. Control loop needs to be adapted perhaps.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 4 Oct 2021 10:10:14 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Michael Terrell snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I have a full license, and also a maritime communication operator certificate. But no morse, do not see the point, was no longer needed, but s.o.s is ...---... :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

There's interesting possibilities for small enough antennas, too. If one parked a few corner-cube reflectors in orbit, you could link to a nearby but over-the-horizon station by simply retroreflecting off the satellite with a small dish (and the diffraction limit of the satellite would guarantee that another node a few miles away would make a good connection).

Echo was a lovely sight in the night sky, once.

whit3rd

Aren't these good enough? :-)

Joerg

The thin atmosphere changes pressure, depending on the time of year. It is to thin for the current atmospheric conditions to archive lift at the rotor speed that's available. It has well exceed its design specification of five flights. There has been ongoing coverage of this on a Veteran and Military support website, since the first flight. I would link the site, but the trolls on here would try to disrupt it. They would quickly be booted, but why let them even know about it? There are plenty of videos about it on Youtube, derived from NASA's public data.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

There's a very fine line between JIT and TFL. JIT doesn't cope well with fluctuations in demand, whatever the cause.

I have enough petrol for about 20 miles, according to the car. I don't know how accurate that is, I've never pushed it (!) that far before.

Reply to
Clive Arthur