High voltage pnp's (250 volts)

sci.electronics.design, comp.arch.embedded high voltage pnp's (250v)

Anyone know of a good pnp transistor spec'd up to 250 volts, a probable current limit of 1 amp and designed as a switching device. It's to serve as the switcher in a variable frequency (pulse width held constant) power supply. So far a 2n2907 has been tried, with a 100ma 50 volt limit, with impressive results. Zetex (now Diodes Inc) fzt957 & fzt958 with a 1 amp 300 volt limit were tried but they were inefective. The 2n2907 showed 47% efficiency with a 500ns pulse width; the fzt957 showed 38%. With 4 micro second widths, 2n2907 showed 61% & fxt957 showed 32% (). Apparantly, the higher collector/emitter voltage implies a greater effective restance and higher saturation voltage, which might explain why n channel fets with convoluted "high side" drive circuitry are used. I'm hoping there are some pnp devices in the relatively low 1 amp and 2 amp range that are more useful than the fzt957 units. Any suggestions?

Hul

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Need more info--pulse width and schematic in particular.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Suggest using a MOSFET, good choices all the way to 600V.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Phil - you might read the message again.

Hul

Phil Hobbs wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Mouser returns about one result meeting the spec:

Looks like a very nice part and has a high current gain (unusual for HV PNPs I think) but at $1 in singles, not cheap.

Reply to
bitrex

oops, you already found that one, didn't read carefully :)

Reply to
bitrex

What about the 2N5415 apparently you can still get 'em:

Reply to
bitrex

Or to meet the 250 volts the 2N5416 but gosh it's 9 bucks.

Reply to
bitrex

This is dirt cheap :

You need to drive the base either hard negative to shut it off fast or use a baker clamp type method

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

=====================

** The MJE15035 is gonna be hard to beat.

BTW: your Q is all over the place, like mad woman's breakfast.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I'll take a look. Thanks

Hul

bitrex wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

If you look at a power stage with less than 0.5A or so, a BJT has lower conduction loss for the same price vs a FET

Problem is they are a lot more sensitive to overvoltage, secondary breakdown and are a pain to drive (or so one would think)

Even though beta is small and base currents seems excessive, they are only multiplied with base voltage, so ends up with low base drive, conduction loss wise

Reply to
klaus.kragelund

Klaus - what's the "baker clamp" method? I've been woking along the line you suggest: first driving the transistor from 3 pal'd AT13 outputs through 3300 pf parrallel with 3300pf in series w/580 ohms along with a diode & 10k resistor to maintain bias. On the scope that appears pretty good with just a hint of curvature in fall time when measured at the AT13 output. With just one output, the curvature is quite noticable.

Hul

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Hul Tytus

Hi

I do not know the AT13, do you have a link?

About baker clamp:

It?s used to make sure the npn is never hard on which would cause l ong storage time when turning off

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

By the way the baker clamp is difficult to tune robustly for low VCE

If you know your load you can do intelligent trimming, but that is even more flaky

Last I looked at it there is tons of papers and patents on these techniques

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I see a reference to a 500 ns pulse width--is that a design requirement?

Still no schematic. I'd be interested to see it, whether or not I could contribute. Your call.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Any favourite references?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

There is a lot of IEEE papers, but you need access to get those, and the wording is hidden, so cannot just search for "baker" clamp

This app note is ok:

Some of the better patents:

Klaus Kragelund

My go-to jelly bean HV PNP is the MPSA92 but that might struggle above

500mA. Can you spare some Vce and use one of those in a Sziklai with a beefier NPN?

Have you checked if the MJE5731 fits? But a p-channel MOSFET may work better. These may help: IRFR9214; FQT2P25; FQP9P25.

More details of your circuit should help us find an answer.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

APT27 is also extremely cheap, 0.5A: