High power LEDs heatsinking

What's the best method of attaching a high power LED (5W min) to a bulky heatsink? I want to connect up to 10 of them in a small area, ideally using a CPU cooler with fan.

-- Dirk

- Transcendence UK
- A UK political party
- Our podcasts on weird stuff

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

I'd say..heat sink grease and a spring steel compression clip.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com BC, Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Epoxy? It's like any other heatsinking problem: keep the gap thin, and fill it with something that's reasonably thermally conductive.

One of my former employees works for a big lighting fixtures company, and dropped by for a beer on Monday night. He gave me a couple of top-secret white LED assemblies, each about a square inch of aluminum with a blue led array and fluorescent phosphor layer. At, say, 15 volts and 1 amp, they look like welding arcs... you see spots for minutes after. He claims they're twice as efficient as CFs.

The fixture design problem is to get the heat out, cheaply.

Johm

I'm not too worried about getting the heat out cheaply. A few fins and a fan are sufficient, since it is not for general purpose lighting.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Well I had 9. I used a copper plate to go to the LED's. I had to insulate them so I spaced with diamond dust and used slow hardning ceramic thermal epoxy. The plate goes to a peltier and then to a heatsink and fan. I used a computer sink and fan.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Top secret....

GregS

Those look like they'd provide thrust in space, man.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

That's very similar to what I was considering. Thanks.

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax