"High-end Audio" (2023 Update)

I think you misunderstand. In the tube era, the power filter was important to reduce the ripple feeding the circuits because they seldom used voltage regulators. Tube rectifiers were seldom other than half wave to boot!

Reply to
Ricky

The most common arrangement used a dual anode rectifier fed from a centre-tapped secondary of the mains transformer. So it was effectively full-wave.

TVs and radios that were powered directly from the power line without a transformer invariably used half-wave rectification.

kw

Reply to
ke...

The rectifier tubes I saw had a plate cap, so no double plates. I only messed with tubes for a very few years before transistors took over.

I remember having a small TV, maybe 12 inches, that only had maybe five tubes in it. They had started making tubes with multiple sections in them, effectively two triodes or a triode and a pentode or maybe even three functions. I think they were designed for the specific circuit they were used in, which means they must have made a lot of TVs with this same design... until they made no more at all because it became all transistors.

Reply to
Ricky

snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote: ==========================

** Pure marketing bullshit.

** I always is, extra C just reduces the DC ripple voltage to minute values.
** Always the case.
** Extra C dos not change the conduction time or rms current. The same amount of energy needs to be replaced per cycle as before.
** Always the case, but is not proportional to C value.
** Absolute bullshit.

** This fool has just cited one of the dumbest myths in audio. Not a single word is actually true.

What extra C in the PSU DOES do is magnify the inrush surge current at switch on. Large amplifiers typically have a " soft start " system in the AC supply feed to counter the issue.

Rest of this fool's absurd crap deleted.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On a sunny day (Mon, 03 Oct 2022 22:08:11 +0300) it happened snipped-for-privacy@downunder.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A few mains cycles will not do much harm to home mains wiring... If the music was recorded and played right that organ note would be below 100% to allow dynamics. Else amps would simply clip..

I mean, designed and build so many audio amps... that started in the early sixties at high school for the school band tubes and transformers! The guitar player liked the sound so much he wanted me to design more stuff.. Then later transistor amps...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 3 Oct 2022 15:11:12 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Ricky snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

The first all transistor TV was the Sony portable:

Very clever! But many years after that big tube based color sets were still being produced Philips K8 for example:
I designed and build both tube and transistor TVs. Even added color to a Phips LDR1000 video tape recorder as a home project, just for fun.
did a demo at work in the studio.... That was weeks after the Umatic was secretly demonstrated by Sony at the studio for the techies. VHS took over the world market after that. I still have one, and tapes...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Mon, 3 Oct 2022 16:07:43 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Phil Allison snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

The old Philips color sets had a big NTC resistor in series with the mains to reduce peak power on current. All tubes were in series on the mains too, 300 mA heaters..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

With tubes, if you use too large cathode current, the cathode emissivity will drop faster and the tube needs to be replaced more often. Using too large storage capacitors directly after the rectifier tube will degrade the lifetime of the tube.

For this reason, manufacturers specifies the maximum capacitance allowed. typically in the 10-60 uF range. Some even allow slightly larger capacitance if the transformer (effective) winding resistance is large i.e. reduces the peak current.

Anyway, the voltage drop in a tube rectifier can be over 50 V with large peak currents, which will further reduce the rectified DC voltage, so keep the peak current reasonable. Having a relative small first capacitor followed by an LC low pass filter then reduces the ripple voltage.

Due to the voltage drops in mains wiring, transformer windings and the large rectifier voltage drop, the rectified DC voltage doesn't reach the peak voltage during the mains cycle peak, but slightly a lower value when the mains voltage is already falling.

Reply to
upsidedown