Hick electronics

[snip]

What friggin' state might that be?

...Jim Thompson

It's great to be in this friggin' state after a few threads on traffic light controllers. I like the comment about how detectors check that the lights are working and if there's a fault, the controller flashes the lights. Sounds great!

So I get off the interstate today and found a burnt out red light. I checked both ways and pulled out onto a four lane road. A glance over my shoulder confirmed my suspicion that the light was green (not flashing yellow) for the road I turned onto.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

In Massachusetts we consider flashing yellow to be the equivalent of green. Consistent with the view that a yellow light means to speed up and squeeze through the intersection. If it changes to red while still in the intersection, it's OK, it was "orange."

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Here in Oregon we keep an eye on the cross-traffic yellows; they're staging lights so you can get off the line faster when your light turns green.

Boy were my first few weeks in Massachusetts interesting!

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Ever wonder if all these cars aren't simply electrons, flowing through wires we call roads... and they're speeding up as the voltage is raised and colliding into each other as the current is increased?

Reply to
Mark Jones

Washington state at a guess..

Reply to
Grog

At about the time of 11/30/2004 9:41 PM, Tim Wescott stated the following:

You should come to California then. Here, the lights are just for show and are routinely ignored.

I've almost gotten clipped, more than once, by some jackass who ran a red light.

--
Daniel Rudy

Email address has been encoded to reduce spam.
Remove all numbers, then remove invalid, email, no, and spam to reply.
Reply to
Daniel Rudy

In Memphis the rule is Wait for green light Count three cars running the red Proceed with caution

Bob

Reply to
Bob Stephens

A comment from a driver here in Edinburgh some years ago: "Well, it was only a little bit red." We now have lots of cameras.

Regards Ian

Reply to
Ian

"Ian" wrote

You need lots of paint guns.

-- Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio Consulting Engineer: Electronics; Informatics; Photonics. Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com

Reply to
Nicholas O. Lindan

pa - the state of ignorance.

--
Best Regards,
Mike

Disproof: cars traveling in opositite direction on the freeways in winter NEVER form Cooper pairs.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark Fergerson

[snip]

So the ones that run the red are analagous to an inductive kick, where a few more electrons have to jump the gap after the switch has opened?

Marching to a different kettle of fish.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Right... and traffic backs up (electrostatic charge buildup) when repair crews cut the road... :)

Reply to
Mark Jones