Help with Wifi antenna

Hi Jim,

A quick Googling shows July 2005 ("IEEE 802.11 Experiments in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley"), but there was also one in the last 3 months or so that was really just an overview of how 802.11 worked (aimed very much at beginners, actually, with an eye towards amateur usage, e.g., "Making your SSID your call sign is a good idea...").

Agreed, although as I've mentioned previously, these days most of what happens on the amateur frequencies *could* just as readily be done with cell phones or your DSL/cable modem/POTS Internet connection. I think the commercial entities are much more interested in getting the *spectrum* that hams have rather than trying to force the local Elks to quite using a 2m repeater to coordinate their meetings. :-)

There is a long history of amateur radio being used to avoid expensive commercial services: People used it for years as a replacement for long distance telephone calls prior to those rates becoming dirt cheap. It's almost ironic to what extent this motivates people -- international calls that were $5/minute in 1970 are now often no more than $0.05/minute, yet there's still plenty of interest in, e.g., Skype to reduce that to "free!" (after you pay your fixed monthly Internet bill). Heck, these days I think that satellite phones cost less per minute than many international calls 35 years ago!

One area that isn't readily available commercially yet is "reasonably" high-speed Internet connections (e.g., 256kbps or better) for folks who are mobile out in the boonies (i.e., somewhere there's no modern cell phone coverage); that's where I'd really like to see some progress in amateur radio (on UHF frequencies, I would imagine). WiMax might offer a viable commercial solution here, but I imagine there are going to be large stretches of the western and central U.S. where it'll be many decades before it's profitable to deploy WiMax or high-speed cell phone networks; in such places a hilltop amateur system could let amateurs with the typical 50W mobile radio "check their e-mail" for many tens of miles in all directions.

I also think it would be cool to build something like an HF PSK31 gateway back to the popular Internet instant-messaging services (Yahoo!, MSN!, etc.) -- I figure the way to approach this would be to hack together the bits of PSK31 code out there with the bits of a multi-protocol messaging program such as Pidgin (formerly GAIM).

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Here in Israel, it's long since happened. Cell phones have replaced HT's and phone patches are a thing of the past. Even without VoIP last fall a long distance company had unlimited calls to the U.S. and Canada $10 a month. That offer is gone now, but the regular price is about $.04 a minute except for the "default" carrier which is $.10 a minute, less if you "join".

Quite simply no one here really cares about ham radio anymore. The Israel Amateur Radio Club has worked hard to keep relegious Jews and new immegrants out of it, and the "new" generation does not want to have to take a morse code test.

It's only a few "old guys" left. :-(

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838

Bonnie Crystal and the HFLINK crowd is doing just this, using ALE text messages.

Reply to
Jim Lux

how many elements ?

I saw a stacked yagi 2.4GHz antenna when I was in the pay-tv business iirc 2 rows of 25 elements. dunno what gain it had.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

for miniaturizing wi fi wi max or any band in the 100 MC to 10GC range, You can use FWT antennas. FWT(Focused Wave antennas) miniaturize and ruggedize antennas by embedding them into an engineered dielectric, when hardened becomes and integral part of the antenna. For the real high gain antennas, the mechanical support for the extra eleemtns is provided by the intirinisic design of FWT antennas. Built in Balun and have begun to integrate electronic onto he body of the fwt antenna. this eliminates the rf connector, looses and performance degradation that occurs right at the antenna to first stage interconnection!

Best regards,

Marc Popek

LVMarc