Help with DC motor wiring

Maybe, but A run great, I don't think it was residual magnetism.

Well, that would make the most sense, considering how good the motor ran. But that doesn't fit with the motor wiring plate. The 4 Lead shunt only has the shunt and CNPS or IP. The six lead compound has the shunt, the CPNS or IP and a series. I just don't see enough coils in the motor to be the six lead. It is evident the motor has been in a shop (alignment punch marks) so the motor wiring plate may not have any relevence. When I get a minute I'll run to the local motor shop and see if they can decipher it. Thanks, Mike

Reply to
amdx

See my other post. This appears to be a shunt field motor with a compensation winding, based upon your description and nameplate diagram.

It is possible that this motor will behave like a series motor if the shunt field is disconnected. In fact, this makes sense with respect to your initial description of its behavior. Series motors don't have a distinct maximum RPM as shunt field motors do. Under light load, the motor can continue to develop a small amount of torque in the forward direction where shunt field motors have a distinct point at which they cease to provide mechanical power out and, if driven from an external prime mover (or the inertia of the vehicle) will become generators, providing dynamic braking.

Parity on, dudes!
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

at 30mph, your daughter needs a helmet!