Hearing Aids

snip

Dont worry John, Google has all our indescresions saved for pomposity.

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

The discussion on the subject.

===================================================== Subject: Re: [ACCESSIBUILT] Induction loops To: snipped-for-privacy@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Hi,

Lynn is right. Digital aids process sound more effectively than analogue for many people (although not all), but are still dependent on the quality of the incoming sound. BTE (Behind the ear) aids will usually have a T switch and be compatible with a loop regardless of whether they are digital or analogue. An increasing proportion of particularly privately dispensed aids are smaller "in the ear" or "in the canal", and often do not have a T switch and so cannot be used in conjunction with a loop at all.

The whole purpose of an induction loop is to help reduce other background noise and ensure that the sound you want to hear comes via appropriately placed microphones directly to the hearing aid. All hearing aids rely on very small microphones within them, which will often pick up background noise from around you, (usually on the wrong side of a glass screen from the ticket officer!).

I've worn digital aids for several years now, but still use loops where I can find well installed one that is switched on! My favourite is the ticket office on the rail platform at Stansted Airport. With my aids set to T I can hear the ticket officer perfectly, whilst those without any hearing loss at all struggle to pick out what is being said via the speakers over the noise of trains.

Katherine

Reply to
PaPaPeng