Re: Compander?

I was driven nuts last night viewing a 40+ years ago TV series that

>had too much audio dynamic range. > >Turn the volume up enough to hear the whispers, then blown out of the >room by loud passages :-( > >Anyone make a compander anymore? > >(I'd settle for a schematic, provided it's analog and is not >controlled by a uP ;-) > > ...Jim Thompson

These things have been around for years. Since I have moved I don't yet have the stereo hooked up. All you do is install a automatic volume controller. I have made a few. You can use a VCR. I didn't notice much of a problem but the volume changes on commercial is really bugging me since I bought a LCD TV and new cable box.

Here is whats currently available..................

GregS

Some time ago i had at least one volume controller hooked up. I was still getting volume changes especially noticable during football games. I later found out my Hughes SRS had that problem and stopped using it. Its also possible some other expansion devices make volume changes along with normal program material.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Greg, Have you used that device?

...Jim Thompson

Not that specifically. I have bought two devices from MCM over the years and I don't have the companies on hand. Prices used to be up to $100. One was better, I liked, because it had two settings of compression. One was 10 dB and another of 20 dB. I have made some using leds and photocells. I also made one using one of the chips NE 572 I have seen good reviews of the Terk.

greg

Reply to
GregS

$26 at Amazon! At that price it's worth the experiment. And Amazon is easy to deal with if I decide to return it.

...Jim Thompson

I did say you can use a VCR. they have at least a 20dB range. I forget how I had mine hooked up. It may have to be record mode. They are everywhere. They all have built in limiting. Well I did have an old HiFi unit that you could select manual or auto control. It had lights, sliders, and buttons all over the place.

On the other end, I have also built some volume expanders. I also have a couple of units, and DBX and a Pioneer expansion unit. Great for FM which is compresed.

I found Amazon high on shipping.

greg

Reply to
GregS

"Prime", 2-day shipping, free!

...Jim Thompson

There are quite a few 1-star reviews there. Mostly "it died" & "it makes popping and/or hissing sounds".

Definitely a good thing.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Yep. I read them all.

Yup. But the box 'looks' nice... I've been known to 'de-gut' and replace ;-)

(I've had lots of pointers/schematics, so I'm ready ;-)

...Jim Thompson