Having fun at 350 amps

RdsOn isn't so important for linear applications. That's an impressive part, but our TO-247 with lead frame has more thermal mass. It can handle about 3x more heat in 20us, which is important. The TO-247 is also easier to get heat into a 100W heatsink, needed for long pulses or high rep rates. Some other TO-247 or SOT-227 parts might be better. My linear circuit would also be happy with multiple MOSFETs and mR source resistors, drains in parallel.

Yep, I have a nice stock of big parts like that. Our 5 to 20mR values are chosen with high voltage drops in mind, needed by the circuit. (E.g., 4V compares to Vgs=4V, 1V for opamp control.) Small size, low inductance is necessary for fast di/dt. The Ohmite FCSL110 wide 5W sense resistors also come down to 1mR, and in an FCSL150 10W version. They're better suited for small circuit boards.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Didn't think you were using the FET as a current source. You just need the largest die and best heat transfer possible. TO-247s do not necessarily guarranty that the die is large but your part is pretty good.

For short-ish pulses, you can also use inductance to limit current. We used to do that to test power FET current handling capability.

Sounds like you're on top of things.

Reply to
boB

That's essential at really high currents, because you need to start the pulse with a high dV, to get a high di/dt = V/L. The FET has to absorb the extra voltage for the rest of the pulse.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win