Pulling frequency or spread spectrum of Colpitts osc

Hi

I have a Colpitts osc that is giving me a headache in radiated EMI

If I could pull the frequency at 100Hz so the energy is spread out, it could solve my problem

Sort of like this:

It looks like they use the inherent properties of the transistor to make a chaotic signal

I am using a standard BC847, so cannot do this

Anybody have an idea how to pull the frequency, cheap?

Sort of like an varicap across the tank caps, but varicaps are not cheap?

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Crystal or LC?

You might be able to FM a bit by changing V_CE.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

What's your frequency? How far above spec limits is your EMI? In what measurement bandwidth? In other words, how much do you need to sweep?

As Phil says, frequency will depend on supply voltage.

And all diodes are varicaps. Most ceramic caps are varicaps too.

Either way, you'd need a low frequency oscillator or equivalent to sweep the oscillator frequency.

Is there a uP port pin available? You can have fun lowpass filtering a pseudoramdom bit stream.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Especially if the uP is clocked by the oscillator which is being jittered by the pseudorandom bit stream...

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

It's interesting to consider making truly random bit streams from a small uP. It needs an external source of entropy.

One idea is to pull down a tri-state pin and let it charge back up into the same, or another input pin, logic or an ADC input. That generates a sorta random time delay or number. Stir that into the guts of a pseudorandom sequence generator or several.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

If you can tolerate AM and the colpitts is high enough frequency you can modulate the oscillator transistor capacitances by injecting some wobble into it's base. Or instead of a costly varicap across the tank use a second vanilla BC847 across the tank either varicapping C-B or B-E junctions or as an old school reactance modulator (should be findable online).

piglet

Reply to
piglet

He hasn't stated if he's using a xtal or just LC. If it's the former, there's much less latitude to pull the frequency.

--

"The BEST Deal is NO DEAL"
Reply to

What about taking the audio output of a radio tuned off-station as an input to a processor for random numbers?

Reply to
John S

it's LC

Yes. I also tried loading the center cap point with variable resistance, and I can pull the frequency by doing that

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

The frequency is 20MHz. The test receiver for radiated emissions has 120kHz bandwidth, so to move it out of band, I need about 1% deviation, just to get 6dB reduction

Right now I am about 15 dB above the limits

Yes. I have a microcontroller on board, so I can use that to modulate the frequency. Although I would like a self running device, I have 2 IO pins that could be used for that purpose

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I like the idea to inject into the base. I guess it should be an ac coupled cap. I have mains input voltage, so I could even feed mains ripple from the DC link capacitor into this point.

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

I do not have a radio receiver in this product

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

No shielding. It is leaking via a capacitance across a barrier. I have no clear way to reduce that leaking. I need to try other tricks

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

You don't need anything fancy for spread-spectrum. I've used a sloppy triangle from a schmitt-gate-RC oscillator. If you have a uP output pin, lowpass that and square wave drive to make a triangle. Fancy pseudo-random the pin to make a gaussion spectrum. But a triangle is fine, to make a rectangular spectrum.

Any diode is a varicap. It could be as simple as a schmitt gate, one resistor, one cap, one diode. Possibly simpler, depending on your oscillator circuit.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The name is important. Octpart shows 174 hits for varicap:

and 1,000 hits for varactor:

The price is generally between $0.10 and $1.00 for qty 1.

The capactance range is wider and probably better controlled than with a random diode.

1N4001 shows typical values:

1N4148 shows maximum value:

Steve Wilson

Then don't use a random diode! I think Klaus is super price sensitive, so some under-one-cent diode might be appropriate.

We don't know his frequency or the circuit, so we can't recommend anything.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

Good luck finding a diode under a cent with controlled capacitance characteristice that can be used in his circuit.

Perhaps shielding might work better, or adjusting the operating parameters of the oscillator to reduce EMI.

For examples of properly adjusted Colpitts, see

Follow the instructions in the Readme.txt file.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Yes, as always :-)

I wrote that in another post, about 20MHz

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Yes, I am working on this. I have a couple of pins free on the micro, so could use these for the function.

About the receiver comment, it's just that another post suggested a radio receiver, and as I wrote I do not have that luxury ;-)

Cheers

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund