Has anyone looked at this tiny VIA motherboard

It is supposed to be small enough to mount an entire PC into a 5.25" drive bay. It might be useful for embedded PC applications.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Too goddamned expensive.

A top end full sized MOBO is about $230. Why would I pay $200 for a shit mini mobo? Much less $300 for a shit mini mobo in a shit box...

This one is much better:

Might even get one. It even has a PCIx 16 slot.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Even better! Only $80

Archimedes' Lever

If it uses VIA chip sets, then I wouldn't touch it unless VIA has made steps to fix their chip sets.

-- Mark

Reply to
qrk

What's the matter with their chip sets?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

I got one for free at the Embedded Systems Conference. I've been dinking around with trying to get it to boot Ubuntu from a thumb drive, but haven't gotten there yet (at least with the version 8.x Ubuntu).

The project is stalled in favor of paying work.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

You have to make sure the thumb drive and installed OS is viable on a real PC first. Also, I would make a KNOPPIX thumb drive (f*ck Ubuntu), as it's auto-detect features allow it to be booted on many boxes.

Knoppix is also a debian based distro, and uses apt-get, just like Ubuntu. The great thing about Knoppix 5.3.1 is that it has over 10GB of installed apps compressed onto it.

Reply to
FatBytestard

I'm used to Ubuntu.

My first attempt was DSL on a small drive that was 'free'. Worked fine. I was trying Ubuntu because it's on the other machines in my house.

Ultimately I want to see if I can get a real-time version of Linux built and running on it, then see what sort of cheap peripherals I can come up with.

I may try Knoppix as a starting point, but the last time I looked it really wasn't purposed for permanent installation.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

That one appears to be quite a bit larger.

Reply to
Guy Macon

Sure it is. It is a compressed live DVD, but it can also be installed, and can be used with a hard drive as a two piece system.

But the full install is available, and has been a part of Knoppix for some time now.

Reply to
FatBytestard

12 x 12 cm as opposed to 12 x 7 cm for the pico mobo.

I'll use my lever and pry it into place. I can move the Earth with a lever.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Idiot, Give the direct link

It is a far more capable board than that ViaCrap. Dual core is the final nail in the coffin.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I am not fat, and I press two 8 inch levers several thousand times a day to power my bike. On my fattest day, I am a third the weight of the sack of shit that you are.

Get over yourself, you dumbshit.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

The first word to come to mind, flaky. The VIA chip sets before 2003, or so, had lots of compatibility issues with anything plugged into the PCI bus. I never had a mobo with VIA chip sets work quite right. I quit using them after that, so I don't know about the modern versions. Nowdays, I stick with boards that use Intel or Nvidia chip sets which seem to work well.

Reply to
qrk