Grit Bin Agitator

Put in a printout of that "jihad needs scientists" thread.

Tim

--
Two pieces of cheese the same size and shape are con-gruyere-ent.
Tim Williams

Well, rather than fix the symptom, you could work on the cause of the problem: Your compressor is putting damp air into the cabinet, and that is making the sand clump. You need to do a better job of eliminating the water in the air tank, and keeping the moisture out of the air line. Water traps 5 or 10 feet from the compressor is a good start. You must allow the air from the compressor to cool before it gets to the water separator.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris

There is already a water trap in place. Being that this is Arizona, there is very little water to begin with. Plus I have a good vacuum running from the hood.

My suspicion is the SiC cakes from moisture slowly acquired while it sits in the garage for months between uses.

"Whacking" the side of the cabinet certainly works, thus my "agitator" thoughts.

...Jim Thompson

Some materials are inherently hygroscopic.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Water

the

Thanks Chuck, I'll move my water trap to the nozzle end of my hose! I suppose the distance is to allow condensation.

Reply to
Lord Garth

How much trouble would it be to heat the SiC prior to use? Perhaps a reflector and that AZ sun.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Injecting air into the bottom, as youve got an air supply it might be the easiest of all if it works.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

That is correct, warm air holds a lot more moisture than cool air. When your compressor is running it makes the air in the tank hot. That air is entering the air line at tank pressure, so there is little or no cooling due to expansion. That hot air carries its moisture all the way to your blast box, where expansion causes instantaneous cooling, and water condensation, which dampens the sand causing it to clump.

If you put your water separator far from the compressor, the air line radiantly cools the air, and allows the water to condense out. The water trap then collects the water drops and dries your air.

Additionally, if you allow water to stay in the bottom of your tanks, it will add a ton of moisture to the air, so it is important for more than just safety reasons, to keep the tanks dry.

-Chuck Harris

Reply to
Chuck Harris

"Jim Thompson" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I seem to remember you have grandchildren. So give them a drum with drumsticks an tell them not to beat on the white plastic cabinet :)

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Well, I suppose that works if you are a late riser......

'Grunt'

'Arrr'

Farty

Fart

'Yawn, Morning'

'Morning, Yawn'

'Sex?'

Quick look

'Errrr, nope'

'Work on it?'

'Nope..... Grits?'

'Sigh, OK, your turn'

'OK, keep the bed warm.'

Trump trump trump.

Rumble rumble clank sloosh whoompffffh.

Trump trump trump.

'Hi again.'

'Hi.'

'They're on.'

'Sex?'

'OK'

'Ooooh, foreplay. These grits are going to be good.'

DNA

Reply to
Genome

cooling

condensation,

Unlike most systems, I have a separate compressor and a portable tank. There is no barometric switch in my setup. I use a quick connect to the compressor from the tool end of the hose so I would hope that some moisture condenses within the hose during a refill.

As you indicate, I can't hold the compressor end of the coupler without gloves, it's just too hot. The tank end is cool though and about 18" uphill.

The only way I know to drain the tank is to invert it so that any condensation drains toward the schrader valve...I then pull the relieve pin!

I usually put 125 LB PSI into the 10 gallon tank, that's good for two computers or one really dirty machine.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Now that you mention it, grits is sort of erotic.

John

Oh, do you know about fried grits? Make some extra, and pack the leftovers in a plastic tub and refrigerate overnight. Next day, invert it over a cutting board and thwack out the congealed grits. Slice and fry the slices in butter. Eat with butter and syrup, bacon [1] on the side maybe. And coffee. What, UK? Better stick to tea.

John

[1] nice crispy American bacon, not that slimy Irish or Canadian stuff.

In fancy restaurants they call it Palenta ;-)

...Jim Thompson

You can buy tubes of yellow polenta in the supermarket, packaged in clear plastic, looking and feeling like big sausages. I've been meaning to try it.

Anybody use this stuff?

John

Now you're getting excited......

Try that one too often and the shit you put in your underwear will stay there.

Time for porridge!!!!!

It's been a long time.

I thought bacon was as crispy as you cooked it.

We get all of ours from the Danish, produced under license in the UK. Just like Coors, Fosters and Special Brew.

Everything else from Italy is made in Holland.

Still have to work out egg fried rice though...

Tea?

Well, I didn't have to rewire the country to make my last cup.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

It's pretty good. But "N" has recently taken to making it from scratch.

...Jim Thompson

A Vibrolator-but it won't be subsonic, I can tell you that!

Reply to
Rick

A blast of air would turn it into a dust cloud that would have to settle before he could use it.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

the

A 'blast' of air was a bit more than I was thinking of, more like a very tiny eansy weensy nozzle.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin