Grit Bin Agitator

Grit Bin Agitator... figured that would catch attention ;-)

I have a typical sand (actually Silicon Carbide, 150 grit) blaster cabinet, V-shaped bottom (made of white "plastic").

The blaster "pen" sucks up SiC from the bottom.

Unfortunately, particularly during cooler weather, the SiC tends to cake, get voids, and I have to pound on the cabinet to get the SiC to fall to the bottom where the suction tube is.

I'm contemplating an "agitator", perhaps a speaker running at a sub-audible frequency to vibrate the cabinet.

Suggestions? Alternate ideas?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Slow electric motors with eccentrics are used to vibrate setting concrete to eliminate voids. Something like that should be better than a speaker.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

"Sounds" good ;-)

...Jim Thompson

A horizontal auger driven by a rotisserie motor.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hmmmm! That might do it!

...Jim Thompson

Or would the SiC eat the auger ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

A very good idea, I think that should do the job. A simple 555 timer oscillator with transistor driver for the speaker and a pot to adjust frequency a bit.

Reply to
James Thompson

Depends on what kind of diet its on. ;-)

Coat the auger with Epoxy to make it last longer.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Instead of a speaker, I'd suggest using some "Bass Shakers" like those made by Aura

or Buttkicker

Check eBay for better pricing...

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Ott

BREAKFAST GRITS

1 ½ cups milk 1 cup stone-ground or other good quality grits 2 cups boiling water 1 teaspoon salt pepper to taste 4 tablespoons butter In the top of a double boiler, stir the milk into the grits, then add the water and seasonings. Stir well, cover tightly and place over the bottom, filled with an inch or two of boiling water. Cook over low heat anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half, or more, depending on the coarseness of the grind. When the grits are soft, add butter and serve. Serves 4

Sheeeeit! That's a lazy life.

An hour and a half before you can eat breakfast........

I'd be inclined if I was leaning against something.

Errrrrrr, try a heater.......

DNA

Reply to
Genome

Shaker from a cellphone - cheap surplus.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

That would be ok if it had less than an ounce in it.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A Speaker is cheap, and they do rattle the car panels very well. Most any vibration should work. The motor vibrator idea still may be best yet. JTT

Reply to
James Thompson

Better than a speaker. For more quantity, buy an industrial shaker.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

That's a lot higher expense than what I suggested.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

OK, another story. I had a friend who ran a big board-stuffing house. His pick-and-place machines used feeders that needed shakers on the feed tubes, and they were real expensive, so he asked me for ideas. So I went to Good Vibrations, the local world-famous sex toys store...

to see what thay had. Turns out that

  1. All such things are battery powered these days
  2. They did have a nice AC-powered vibe, but it was in their "vibrator museum"
  3. Straight looking guys get pretty much ignored there. It's mostly for dykes.

We eventually found a handheld AC-powered massage thing at a barber supply store. It shakes pretty hard at 60 Hz.

Richard eventually sold out to SCI, wakked away with millions, put it into dot.com stocks, and lost most of it.

John

We do one part grits to 4 parts water, with a little salt and butter, in an ordinary pot. Just stir the grits into boiling water, reduce to simmer, cover, stir now and then, done in 15 minutes. Serve with lots of salt, black pepper, butter, and fried or scrambled eggs.

Well, just have the grits for dinner, like we do.

And, please note, "grits" is always singular.

John

"...and I'll have some grits." "Hominy?" "Oh, four or five, I guess."

;-) Cheers! Rich

Reply to
rtngw

How about some kind of surplus AC motor with an eccentric weight on the shaft? I'd make it with a lathe, but it should be possible to make it with just a hacksaw and drill press.

As well as how cell phone vibrator work, that's what's inside some of those "toys", albeit on a smaller scale than I'm suggesting.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I've seen bins that get agitated, and the ones I've seen have some kind of compliant mount, so that the vibration doesn't cause too much stress - I've seen things like stacks of spring steel, so the bin can move back and forth. Something in my head is screaming, "Tire stuff!" Like, you'd cut about four rectangles out of an old tire, and use them as mounting tabs.

They've also used an ordinary electromagnet, like a huge fish pump, only instead of a diaphragm, of course, it shakes the bin. A variac would give you fine control.

Want me to draw something up for you?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise