Great test equipment designs

When you have them on all day & don't watch tv they do ;)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The frequency dial on my main one is within 2% over the full range on all coils, which is amazing.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs "There were giants in those days"

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

TV displays are soft images of real scenes, nicely distributed and constantly changing. An instrument will display fixed fields, numbers mostly, that don't move around for days or years. Pixels burn selectively.

Same idea. Non-uniform area use.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

What, you do not play Pacman on your scope?

Yea, my LCD monitor has bad burn in, shows program text most of the time, but you do not notice it at all with programming. Maybe it helps that I always use white background black text terminals. But sometimes I watch movies on it and even then it is OK.

I am not sure OLED burn in is worse than these Samsung LCD panels. In fact if I change to a different display mode on these 3 years 24/7 on small OLEDs, I see no effect whatsoever. The black being really black helps.

Maybe ask in an Apple user group about their experiences with the new displays. I did not hear any complaints so far, but was not specifically googling for it.

And then there are people who leave the set on on the test card...

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

PTS1000 ?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

8640s are dying now because of their gears that are made from Delrin. There is an Italian ham who machines a replacement set from brass.

regards, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Programmable test source maybe.

GH

Reply to
George Herold

Sorry, what is this meter? A GDO? Can you provide the exact make and model?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Datron/Wavetek 1281 does have two VFD displays. Beats HP 3458A which, ironically, also has VFD display.

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Sergey Kubushyn

There's also a gentleman in India doing the same (he had his latest batch up on eBay not long ago - possibly still available). I recently installed a set of his three brass gears in my 8640B opt 323, and also replaced the plastic differential arrangement with some brass and aluminum parts that a friend of mind kindly milled up. Much better now...

Reply to
Dave Platt

It's a Measurements model 59 Grid Dip Meter, made by Measurements, who later became Boonton and then were acquired by HP.

You can find them on eBay. It uses an acorn triode, which you can also still get.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

A super nice direct synthesizer made by Programmed Test Sources. Their

2001 catalogue is at .

Mine is the older model with 10 decade switches to set the frequency. I got it for pretty cheap on eBay, and another one with no front panel to use as a parts mule. It has low spurs and really good phase noise. Mine was $200 plus $85 shipping.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I always liked my Simpson 260. I still have it, but don't use it anymore.

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

Reply to
piglet

Not Nixie, LED 7 seg. 1976 pocket size DMM.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Nice, sort of the HP-21 of DMMs.

I still have an HP-41CV that I use a few times a week. BITD I did a lot of fairly abstruse calculator programming, including hacking undocumented instructions of the original 41C. I had one of the very first 41Cs in Canada, because my dad knew John Young, HP's chairman at the time. (They were on some board together.) I still had to pay list price, so obviously they weren't super close. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My HP35 cost a bit over $400, which was a months salary at the time. I think I still have it.

 Click to see the full signature

My 41C was $700 Canadian in 1979, iirc, which took a big whack out of my summer job savings. (I was in second year at UBC.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thanks, Phil. I've heard a lot of very good reports about Boonton gear over the years.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I don't think you can go wrong with Boonton instruments. In addition to the model 59 Grid Dip Meter, I also have a 95A Sensitive DC Meter which goes down to 1uA and 1mV full scale. And I have a 92A-S2 RF Millivolt meter. Neither have been to a cal lab, but I have used other means to give me a very rough sanity check on the accuracy. I cherish these instruments.

Reply to
John S