GPS Multiplexer design

My problem is that I need a GPS multiplexer. I dont think I can get it in India. Is any circuit diagram scematic available which I can use for makin a simple 2in/1out multiplexer?

Reply to
mnitin73

Actually GPS is at ~1.5GHz. I'm not quite sure what the OP is trying to do, but you can get off-the-shelf cable TV splitters/combiners that are good to

2GHz for
Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Others have noted that cable TV splitters/combiners are available here in the US.

But I'm dubious about 2-in/1-out for GPS. Combining two GPS signals from antennas separated by more than the GPS resolution is a recipe for confusion.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Sorry for the confusion.....I meant the rs232 nmea output signal

Reply to
mnitin73

You want to multiplex the RF of the GPS at 2.5GHz or so ? You're aware that the GPS signal over cable looses quite a bit of amplitude ?

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

These TV components are not known to have a high isolation, their focus is to be cheap.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

You need to give more information unless you want to get a bunch of useless answers.

How do you want to control the selection between the two GPS's? Do you want to magically do it by way of the RS-232 port? Could it be a pushbutton? A jumper?

Or maybe you are thinking that you can get all the messages from both GPS's? This would probably require more than a simple mux.

Does this "mux" need to be powered from the RS-232 line, or could it be battery powered, or does it have to be line powered, maybe? If line powered, what Voltage and what frequency?

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

Lotsa places make NMEA multiplexers with various features:

Sometimes they're used to put both a main and backup GPS on the same serial stream, but usually they do 1 GPS receiver, 1 wind sensor, 1 compass, etc (all of which speak NMEA).

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

A mux made from two and an an inverter is sufficient. Or perhaps a 74HCT138 or a 74HCT155 or such.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

mniti sez "Sorry for the confusion.....I meant the rs232 nmea output signal"

The most straightforeward way to do this is by using a USB-to-RS232 hub. I've used this when I had two GPS receivers being used for a form of differential GPS. The other way would be a gizmo from B&B Electronics

lektric.dan