Good RA connector for external JTAG?

I need JTAG access on a board that's going to be mounted in a chassis. My original thought was just to use a RA .100 pin header, but maybe there's something like mini-DIN would be better. I'd have to make a special cable, but it would be keyed and take up less board area. Anyone have a connector they favor for JTAG use? Is there a standard I haven't heard of?

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to
Ben Jackson

We had -more or less- the same problem when designing boards so they can be programmed in a gang programmer (also self made). I think the designer choose a smaller pitch 10 pin RA header and omit most of the JTAG grounding pins.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

"Right angle".

I've been looking around and it looks like everyone has invented their own JTAG standard. The "new" Xilinx one is now a 2mm (I think) dual row to get more grounds in. Altera uses a 2x5 .100" header (times two if you use a serial EEPROM config).

I think to save "edge real estate" I'm just going to use RJ45 for the debug headers, since they will not be confused with video, and take up much less width/pin.

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Reply to