Good digitally controlled volume IC?

Hi guys,

I was wondering what you circuit hackers use?

I'm pondering the TI (Burr-Brown) PGA4311 , 4 channels, $5.95/1k, looks good.

The Cirrus CS3310 is just 2 channel and I need three for my application. It's rather expensive.

The Maxim DS1841 is a bit minimalist as I'll have to implement a zero-cross delay for clickless changes, is missing an output buffer and has only 128 steps. It sure is cheap though.

This is post a D/A converter and needs to just drive a 10K load for an amplifier input (short line, same box and PSU reference).

We found division in the digital domain not to have a pleasing behavior, so I need to go analog to avoid quantizing artifacts. FYI, the input for the A/D will have something similar, too, for adjusting gain structure, but I'm not at that half of it yet.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Buy a few of each (or obtain samples) and tinker with them. You will learn a lot more than you could guess.

Reply to
JosephKK

Hi Joseph. Many years ago I used the CS3310 in a high-performance audio design with excellent results.

I'm not sure about your exact requirements, but perhaps you could also consider a digitally controlled potentiometer, maybe the microchip MCP42100.

Best regards, Tony

Soldering techniques that save you time and money

Reply to
Tony Burch

How important is that? What sort of product is it?

You were attempting to use division to control volume in the digital domain? The "Right" was is to use multiplication (for example,

16-bit signed sample x 15 or 16 bit unsigned volume level gives 31 or 32 bit signed, volume-controlled output), and if you need better than car-radio quality, you dither or noise-shape the result before truncating it to 16 or howevermany bits your A/D converter uses. This might be more appropriately discussed on comp.dsp.
Reply to
Ben Bradley