good cheap wireless 802.11 IC I could use in my design

thought Id ask. anyone here had cause to use a wireless 802.11 IC in their board design recently? whats a good cheap IC?

Reply to
jackbenimble

Low-cost wifi ICs show up in Arduino add-on boards (shields), plus you get open-source library code to run them. Some are from Pacific-Rim companies, but you can get them on Alibaba, etc. Others are at Adafruit and Digi-Key.

For example, the ESP8266 WiFi Module, $7. Another example, H&D Wireless HDG204.

Both are available at Digi-Key, with datasheet. Also see this comparison,

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

I've been using ESP8266 with lotsa success. Using the Arduino IDE to program it with the esp8622con library. Also need to add the ESP8266 thru board manager. Google will be more specific.

Reply to
sdy

As Win said the ESP8266 is very cheap. The (fabless) maker of the chip is based in Shanghai China. The chip has some processing capability itself.

The Intel Edison is not cheap but very powerful (x86 core) aimed at demanding IoT applications.

You could also consider going with a USB port and a Wifi adapter.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

good point. thats another thought that occurred to me. there is a USB full speed host controller on the microprocessor core used in this design. So ideally I can make the decision for a wifi adapter (plugged into usb) much later ... or not.

but I want some sort of short range wireless interface on the board at all times. And I am starting to lean away from wifi and more towards bluetooth.

Just printed the tech reference manual for TI's cc2540. looks promising

Reply to
jackbenimble

Den tirsdag den 29. december 2015 kl. 22.43.31 UTC+1 skrev Spehro Pefhany:

yeh, you can find esp8266 boards for ~$2

that may also be an advantage if it is something that needs to be certified so it can be sold

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen