GM's Electric Lemon

too

But that's about the useful life for lithium? They don't last long, though I've not looked at lithium battery technology since about five years ago.

Old car, nipples had to be fitted as part of scheduled service per the service manual. Was Ford that did it over here, just something struck me as odd, in the service manual.

The Landcruiser I bought new in '85 had too many, when I went to a 4WD driving club education session, they pointed out a couple of them and said "if you don't grease them, no one else will"... It's common for

4WDs that don't go bush driving to lose their front drive train to neglect. Getting too OT.

I'd like electric 4WD with smart power delivery to each wheel, and I think an electric vehicle needs aux motor for the long distance travel option. A battery only vehicle may as well be golf cart size for city driving. Or two wheels?

So much more energy held in liquid fuels compared to current battery technology.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

too

I'd think 8 years would be optimistic, at least. AIUI, they are limiting the charge between 25% and 75%, so that may be what saves them. Or they could be just putting off the inevitable (you can die today or die tomorrow, your choice).

Ah, the one's I'm familiar with were "permanently lubed". Some even deleted the plugs so zerks couldn't even be refitted.

Typical. GM had plugs that mechanics would skip, too.

Unsprung weight isn't a good thing. Electric drive doesn't make getting power to the wheels any easier.

That's the bottom line. I highly doubt that battery technology will ever compete with fossil fuels for energy density.

Reply to
krw

Too high of an ESR? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Nah, problems with the CHARGE!

Reply to
Grant

GM better start worrying, as we all know (from "The Bloviator"), charge is NOT conserved. ...Jim Thompson

               SED Has Crumbled to Below SEB Status
          Populated Only by Bloviators and Pompous PhD's

I used to call caps "condensers". I use to say "cps" and "kc" for frequency, too.

The problem with a steam condenser is that it's big and heavy. If you dump the steam and don't condense it, like steam trains, you have to keep refilling with water, and the junk in the water cruds up your boiler. Steamships have condensers because they have all the ocean as a heat sink, and welcome the weight low in the hull as ballast.

The 32,000 HP turbine on a LASH ship wasn't much bigger than a beer barrel. The condenser was as big as a nice house.

John

Plus you lose the heat of vaporization of all that water, which destroys the thermodynamic efficiency.

More expensive than a beer barrel though!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

But there are ways to do something about that, and they are done.

Reply to
JosephKK

In an open cycle steam engine? I don't thinks so. If you have an actual example, do tell!

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058
hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The big steamships squeezed every joule they could out of the fuel. The condensers ran at serious vacuum. The small, relatively cheap HP turbine made 90% of the power, and its waste steam drove the monstrous LP turbine. The fuel was blasted into a water-wall boiler, the stack gas drove a superheater, then the preheat economizer. Low-level steam drove water feed pumps, domestic water distillers, heaters, all sorts of stuff. Water chemistry was a project in itself.

The problem is that it was so complex, you needed a lot of smart, expensive people to run it 24/7. Direct-drive diesels are much simpler.

John

You were discussing both closed cycle and open cycle. Most of the heat scavanging is done in closed cycle engines. I'll bet that some of them can be applied to open cycle systems. I have enough hobbies for now.

Reply to
JosephKK

You've already signed up for enough recreational impossibilities, you say? Me too. :(

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs