GHz counter

What distances is it going to be used at?

For times in the picosecond to hundreds-of-nanosecond range and low rep rates, a "Time to amplitude" converter (basically using a capacitor as an integrator) followed by an ADC is very simple technology. Dates back to WWII radar and probably earlier. There are gotchas with switching the current source on and off rapidly and resetting the capacitor back to zero charge, but these are lessened somewhat when you are in control of the repetition rate/sync.

For longer times, a combination of a counter with a TAC is very appropriate. The counter won't have to run in the GHz if you do it right.

There are some clever things that can be done with multiple-approximation switchable delay lines, too. Not very hi-tech (this would be the solution from 40 years ago) but it does work if you control the repititions.

All that said, I would highly encourage you to look at the waveforms on a scope before going into too much deail with measuring sub-nanosecond times. You'll have to work with discriminators on your sensor, for example, and adjusting their threshold depending on path loss (I suppose for very short paths this may be a non-issue, the laser rangefinding I did was in the several km range) or adjusting laser output power to compensate for path loss.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Noise will be a problem. You can eliminate most of it with a new technique that is much faster than averaging. See

Mike Monett

Reply to
Mike Monett

Hi all, I am looking for a giga hertz counter for a laser distance measurement project. How to measure the time between signal out and back? Is there an existing project?

Thanks Helge

Reply to
helgeb

I gues there is no public domain project. As to the counter, there is the MC100EP016A, an 8bit counter doing 1.3GHz.

Are you sure you're having sufficient light to trigger the counter ? What kind of laser with what power, and what distances are you aiming at ?

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

One common way of doing this is to continuously amplitude modulate the laser signal (much easier than switching on or off quickly). Then look at the relative phase of the received signal. This will give you an ambiguous result of course.

If you modulate with a few well chosen frequencies then there will be a unique solution for the actual distance.

Another system uses the received signal to modulate the transmitter. The system will oscillate of course, and the frequency will tell you the distance ...

Have fun ! Dave

Posted Via Nuthinbutnews.Com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services

Dave Garnett

Not exactly an optical rangefinder (are many MeV gammas optics?!), but it was my business for a while to do sub-nanosecond time-of-flight to find energy, mass, etc.

As sort of an extrapolation beyond "if you don't know how to do it, you don't know how to do it on a computer", please look at the waveforms by eye using a good fast scope before attempting to automate measurement with a counter. I suspect that you are underestimating the importance of the discriminator as range varies, and the response time of your detector/electronics chain.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Thank you for opinions:

Rene: the MC100EP016A is nice! I did not know it. I wanted to use a laser with some 100mW (1440 nm) or a 10Watts at 808 nm. The distance is around 100 meters or more. I will use a telescope/laser device. (Maybe I can use it like ceilometer...)

"Rene Tschaggelar" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:42d2af8e$0$1146$ snipped-for-privacy@news.sunrise.ch...

Reply to
helgeb

Hi Tim, thank you!

"Tim Shoppa" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

around 100 m

do you mean a switched integrator?

What is a TAC? I was thinking about 1 Ghz regarding 30 cm resolution...

I never heard from.

You created a range finder?

Reply to
helgeb

In article , Tim Shoppa wrote: [....]

This brings to mind another attack on the problem:

Build what is basically the front end of a simplified sampling scope that feeds a digitizer. The digitized values can then be examined by a micro to find the peak.

This changes a "measuring a delay" problem into a "making a ramped delay" problem. Since the situation being measured is changing fairly slowly, you may be able to use only one sample per laser pulse and still get a good enough representation of the real curve.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Focusing a diode laser is not that trivial, as there are two different divergence angles. Usually a cylindical plus a spherical is used. You have to limit the pulse. For CW laseres, the upper limit for careless pointing is 5mW. More power requires the site to shut and cleared.

There is a disadvantage when the beam is not seen. Where is it pointing at (for a human pointer) ?

Rene

helgeb wrote:

Reply to
Rene Tschaggelar

I will use a collimator with 1 mrad divergence.

I wanted to send out a powerfull puls (10 Hz ?) and start counting internal

1 GHz frequency. After detecting the puls I finish counting and read out the result. Also I could use a switched integrator. I will see.

You are right, a non visible beam is more dificult to handle. I will measure height of clouds...

Helge

"Rene Tschaggelar" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:42d3b60b$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.ethz.ch...

nm.

ceilometer...)