Genrad handbook of stroboscopy, 1531-A

I took out the ancient General Radio 1531-A stroboscope today to measure a spindle speed on a machine tool. Found it in a dumpster years ago and it was in perfect operating condition. Just needed calibration. All toobs but quite a find.

A later version but you get the idea.

Reply to
Oppie

was

ite

Woah... I stopped the download at 5MB. But how fast does it go? You can blink LED's pretty fast... and diode lasers faster.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yep...I also have the slave flash and the flash delay at work. People are always amazed when I use it to lock the flash to an event...

Reply to
Rick

Last time I used it was to investigate the dynamics of a shutter blade movement that was bouncing at ends of travel. Took the actuate signal through a (global specialties) pulse/delay generator which then triggered the strobe. Gave me enough information to make some drive timing changes that greatly improved the performance. I was going to put my digital camera on a tripod in a dark room and use the "bulb" setting to get a multiple exposure with the strobe. Didn't need to get to that point though.

1950's technology but still solid (Hey, I'm 60 myself). LEDs and Diode Lasers might be fast but that bright white Xenon strobe light is a thing of beauty. Interesting how +400/-400V is used on the lamp and how the trigger electrodes are cap coupled to the trigger transformer. The many trigger electrodes not only initiate the discharge but keep the arc in a well defined path.
Reply to
Oppie