Generator DC DC converter board questions...

Hi,

I am trying to test a generator that has a boost feature that uses a 12V battery to provide an extra 500 watts of power when needed for 10 seconds maximum. This is a Yamaha EF3000ISEB.

I question whether the boost feature works or not on the one I have. The boost module connects to the battery with some decent gauge wiring so I expected it to pull enough current from the battery to make the extra 500 watts if necessary (500/12 = 41.7 amps). They call it a DC-DC converter because I *think* it converts 12 VDC to 120 VDC which gets fed into the generator's inverter module which inverts the power into 120 VAC @ 60 HZ. The wires going to the inverter module from the boost module are of a lesser gauge.

I put enough load on the genset that I would have thought it would have kicked the boost feature in but I didn't see any current on the DC clampmeter.

This boost board has 2 transformers on it along with 3 caps. These caps are maybe 30mm tall and 20mm in diameter each.

Is it possible these caps could hold enough power to produce 500 watts for

10 seconds? What would that be, 5000 watt seconds? 3 caps this size?

Does the 2 transformers and 3 caps signify any particular type of DC DC converter in the 500 watt range?

I'm trying to figure out if this pulls power from the battery in real time as it is needed or if it charges up these caps and pulls power from them...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Alan

Home of Partition Boot Manager and Large Drive Tools utilities!

Reply to
Default User