generating negative air ions

I would like to make a generator of negative air ions. I know how to make a high voltage power supply but I need to know more about what happens at the emitter. How do I avoid also generating ozone? Is there some optimal voltage for this? I understand that the emitter should have as sharp an edge as possible and that it is liable to oxidation.

Reply to
Charles P Lamb

the

Air Ions - N2 is too stable

What else is left? O2 => O3- ? H2 to H+ ?

Ionize and you got ozone, dude.

Reply to
Mrr Frose

raise house plants

Reply to
Sam Wormley

Didn't some dude a while ago sell a book "the power of *positive* thinking"? And there are psych studies that it is not a good idea to be negative. What the heck do you have against ions? Racist!

Reply to
Robert Baer

You just want to avoid an arc (spark) in the air (usually visible and also audible), and then you should only be getting the ions.

With Van de Graaff generators I think you can go well above 50KV without arcing, as long as there is no ground potential nearby. Part of this has to do with the large surface area.

-- Gary =================================================================== In Business with Inventor of Infomercials for the price of a pizza. Millions will join, only a few thousands know about us now. Dream and act, because dreams do come true!

forever

in every car there is High Voltage Transformer. It is very cheap. You can found it in a trash car... It have 3 contact: +12V 0V High voltage Connect +12v 0v to battery and a big pin to High voltage and it work!!

"Charles P Lamb" ha scritto nel messaggio news:pfudnVbd859 snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
giuseppe pezzella

In sci.physics, giuseppe pezzella

wrote on Tue, 08 Feb 2005 13:25:59 GMT :

Without an oscillator it won't do a lot; transformers don't work very well with DC. :-) Might get a nice spark on disconnect, though.

#191, ewill3@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
Reply to
The Ghost In The Machine

I figure that the ion generator would best have a needle point emitter so as to encourage the electrons out onto passing molecules. I'll bet that will also increase the likelyhood of an arc.

Charles P Lamb

Very thin wire will accomplish the same thing, with muce more surface area.

Reply to
Mark Jones

TV big picture can generate negative air ions. You just turn on your TV all night long. It works.

the

Reply to
Uno

Huh, no one mentioned making a waterfall in the house!?

This must be a sensible group?

Ray.

Reply to
RayL

I read in sci.electronics.design that RayL wrote (in ) about 'generating negative air ions', on Thu, 10 Feb 2005:

Which one?

John Woodgate

Angel Falls?? :-))

Ray.

Reply to
RayL

Hi Charles: Ions are just oxygen atoms with a missing electron. They are formed during a spark occurrence or in the presence of a high electric field. Ozone is another word for ions that you can smell. So you can't avoid creating ozone. High voltage transformers are required to create voltages between 5kv and 10 kv. Air purifiers are designed this way like the ones hanging from the ceiling in a bar. If you want to just make ions, all you need is an oscillator (555 timer from Radio Shack) and an automotive ignition coil that has the internal drivers inside.

Harold

Reply to
Harold Ryan

I asked about negative ions. These are atoms with extra electrons. Atoms with missing electons have a positive charge. Electrons carry a negative charge.

5kv

that

make

Reply to
Charles P Lamb

I read in sci.electronics.design that Harold Ryan wrote (in ) about 'generating negative air ions', on Sun, 13 Feb 2005:

Ozone is not an ion; it is triatomic oxygen, a neutral molecule.

John Woodgate

Neutral in atomic charge, you mean.

Reply to
Mark Jones