Fuse in Power Lead plug

Are Kettle socket PDU strips disfavoured because the power leads going into such strips do not have fuse in them?

What are the chances of something going wrong in a server so that if the plug fuse does not blow up there can be bigger blow up in power supply further away from server affecting other servers drawing power from the same supply?

I am debating with someone who wants to use PowerLeads that have come with the servers in 3pinPlug taking PDU strips by attaching additional standard power cable to each cable that has been supplied with the servers.

3pinPlug(male) houses its own fuse.

Thanks and regards

Reply to
Nagesh

Not in all countries. And the power supply in that server was not designed specifically for your country. It has an internal fuse.

Reply to
larwe

required, I'd

will be

dozens

any

failure point

Thank you very much, Ken.

Regards Nagesh

Reply to
nagesh_pandher

Depending on where you are and if the fuses in the leads are required, I'd say "don't". The server is already fused internally, and the supply will be fused. Just what are you protecting with a fuse in the lead? We run dozens of servers and other critical pieces of equipment here and we remove any such fuses from leads and power-boards as they are a potential failure point with no benefit to us.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

required, I'd

will be

dozens

any

failure point

In a Datacenter like Redbus's Interhouse

Is anything to be gained by choosing more expensive PDUs like

OR

over cheaper ones like

?

Will be higly obliged for a response from experts like Mr Taylor. Regars Nagesh

Reply to
dmjoshi

required, I'd

will be

dozens

any

failure point

In a Datacenter like Redbus's Interhouse

Is anything to be gained by choosing more expensive PDU like

OR

over cheaper ones like

?

Will be higly obliged for a response from experts like Mr Taylor. Regars

Reply to
nagesh_pandher

The two rack-mounting strips look pretty much the same, and almost identical to ones we use. They're convenient for mounting in the rack, as long as they won't get in the way of the cabling. The first one you've linked to looks like (hard to tell) one which we have a few of - it is like a 9-U panel with outlets on it. It's more convenient if you have lots of cabling running up and down the rack but most of the equipment in one area. You need to decide how you're going to lay out your rack.

Note that these distribution units will almost certainly be fitted to require a high-current source (approx. 15A at 240V for the ones shown). You need to be careful not to overload your circuits. I'm not sure if these British (?) units will have fuses in leads though, which IIRC was the original question.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor