Funny - How to make a PCB

So I was reading the comp.arch.fpga FAQ and I found this page about how to make a PCB. There are a few amusing steps in the process. :-)

Carl Smith

"Carl Smith" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@news.west.earthlink.net...

Explains a large part of the price tags on electronic equipment :)

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

I've been through #25 but with an octal latch. Because of that, I've added a step: print the board on paper and place all your parts on it to make sure they fit.

And the cost of #5 got me involved in the gEDA/PCB project :-)

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Worth sending that link to those clowns who post " I am going to design a ( insert fabulous new device ) . How do I start ? ".

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I remember it well. The original was (cross)posted here.

JeffM

Damn! All I get is a 404 at the URL given.

Laugh or cry, you're not alone. I got caught out with the width of a boxed header and wound up having to file off one end to make it fit on the proto. As a result, except on trivially uncrowded boards I print off an overlay, paste it to cardboard, poke holes for leads and place components.

And on the last proto I did ( a week ago) the plastic pack on one particular IC was just a tad toooo long. Mr Dremel fixed that.

Reply to
budgie

Somewhere I still have a small board where I did exactly that. It has a printout of the layout glued to some stiffer card stock, with all the through hole parts punched through the card.

Is that still a linux only thing?

I think my favorite is:

28) Scrape the burning parts off your face

It reminds me of once when I got hit in the forehead with a ballistic piece of a 74HC logic chip.

Reply to
Carl Smith

My newsreader program decided to be helpful and word wrap the URL, breaking it in the middle. Put the two halves together with cut and paste in your web browser and it should work.

Reply to
Carl Smith

Try this one:

Regards,
  Bob Monsen
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bob Monsen

Nope.

*-*--Unix-like-*+runs-on-*-OSX+author:Ales-Hvezda http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:i3cSB2NNW30J:
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*+all-libraries-*-installed-*-*-*-*-*+*-*-*-not-familiar-with-compiling-*-*-*-*-*-*-*+These-instructions-assume-*-*-*-*-significant-*-*-knowledge-of-*-*-*-*-MinGW+zzz+build20030921+Install-MinGW-MSYS-*-*-*-*-*-*+Ales-Hvezda http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:i3cSB2NNW30J:
*-*-*-*-runtime-*-*-*+Copy-*-*-dll+Build-*-*-guile+Build-*-*-libgdgeda+Set-the-PATH-and-PKG_CONFIG_PATH+Build-*-*-libstroke

Reply to
JeffM

Yep, did that about three seconds after my previous post. Pays to look closely at posted URL's before clicking { :-0>

Reply to
budgie

My recent experience:

25) Discover that you can't get the MOSFET in a DPAK loop back to 4 25a) Discover that MOSFET in PLL6 is so difficult to solder, without melting all the other plastic components around it. b) Looking for SOT23 and DPAK and loop back to 4

Reply to
linnix

IIRC the tools run under Windows with various levels of effort.

At the moment, I'm in the middle of re-engineering the PCB layout software to support multiple GUIs in the source set, so that (hopefully) we can later add a native Win32 GUI to it.

My working sources are here if anyone is interested:

I post an occasional status to the gEDA developer's list.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Alternatively you could try Kicad - open source and already running on both Linux and Windows. Look here:

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Ah yes, all true. before CAD programs were available, you could add a few more:

(1) Find out you laid out all the IC's backwards-- end up bending the IC leads so the part numbers are all face down. Try to explain this to the production folks as a "trade secret" protection step.

(2) One of your many hairs that fell out stuck to the negative-- hand-patch a dozen hairline broken traces on the PC boards.

(3) The photoresist doesnt develop properly on dry days-- take the PC boards for an hour at the YMCA steam bath.

Reply to
grg

Quote them in angle brackets:

Mike Young

They forgot 11a) Verify that all traces go somewhere and connect to something.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

I have designed many traces that go somewhere but connect to nothing. Or sometimes they go somewhere and then come back by a different route. Nothing wrong with that, when you need them.

Reply to
John Popelish

One of the neat things the "new" pcb will be able to do is this:

  • bring up the netlist dialog box.
  • click on the first net. It gets highlighted on the board.
  • press and hold the down arrow key.
  • Each net gets highlighted in turn on the board as you auto-repeat down through the list.

Since your eyes and brain make a VERY powerful pattern matcher, even at full repeat speed you can still catch the occasional "odd" path.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

And if you're working with high frequencies, it could be a tuning or impedance-matching stub. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise